Page 47 of 268 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Sorry for the simplistic view of politics... but...

How can they not vote this deal though, but then (likely) still give her a vote of confidence tonight...

Jeremy Corbyn is just another career politician... if Theresa May said today was Wednesday, he'd tell you it was Thursday.

The EU have absolute contempt for us, and the politicians are just looking after themselves as usual.

Whole thing is an absolute s**t-show.

I think the EU are now saying "what do you want?"

And the funny thing is, as a nation, we don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

Not at all: some people think they can have the penny and the bun.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 16-01-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

DUP's Arlene Foster: 'There was never a hard border in Ireland'
    https://www.independent.ie/breaking-...-37716357.html

Leaving aside that she is distinguishing between an economic border and a security border, I guess she is saying that because there was not an economic border in the past then there is no need to have one in the future? I suppose it is beyond her capacity to understand that there was not an economic border becasue both the UK and Ireland are in the free trade area and before that probably the bilateral deals done between the UK and Ireland. Both of which will no longer apply becasue of May's red lines.

Who votes for these type of people?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

They’ve been asking that for a while now, recently here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-brexit-means/
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Who votes for these type of people?
    Maybe people who read the full article.

"Calling for the backstop to be binned, she said she believed there were administrative and technology options which could pave the way forward for border checks between Northern Ireland and the Republic in order to prevent the need for infrastructure."

This has been the view of the UK Government, HMRC, Customs Experts, the WTO, the Irish Tax authorities and the Irish Government until Leo Varadkar became premier and decided to politicise the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Maybe people who read the full article.

"Calling for the backstop to be binned, she said she believed there were administrative and technology options which could pave the way forward for border checks between Northern Ireland and the Republic in order to prevent the need for infrastructure."

This has been the view of the UK Government, HMRC, Customs Experts, the WTO, the Irish Tax authorities and the Irish Government until Leo Varadkar became premier and decided to politicise the border.
    I don't think the backstop is the only problem with the Withdrawal Agreement but I do think resolving that issue will go a long way towards getting the Withdrawal Agreement passed.

I cannot understand the EUs position on this though.

As things stand we will leave on 29th March and there will be no backstop.

So surely a backstop with (say) a 6 month notice period would be better? That way if it looks like the UK and EU are not going to come to a settled agreement by 2023 the UK Govt of the day can give notice and there is time to deal with it.

Listening to Barnier today, as well as many MPs in the Commons currently, they are talking of the UK Government's red lines, but the backstop is a big red line of the EUs that is at the root of the problems with the WA.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    The major problem with the agreement as I understand it is if it was accepted we’d be leaving the EU. Is that correct?

Maybe it's a problem of language. Most people seem to have a problem with the "backstop". What if we called it a "wicketkeeper" instead?

That gives it a much more English feel, like we came up with the idea.

Super Moderator
    Very good Noel. A career on the foreign office beckons for you I’m sure