Page 43 of 268 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Why would Ireland do that?
    To avoid a hard border of course. Since according to you this cannot be avoided unless the UK (or at least Northern Ireland) and Ireland are in the same single market and customs union, it makes sense for Ireland to come out of the EU and be part of a customs union with the UK.

Problem solved.

Keep those bloody migrants out.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-jobs-at-risk

Real gutter to all involved.
    Not migrants Pat they are expats! 😀

Why would Ireland do that?
    A quick Google
    Also shown is each import country's percentage of total Irish exports.

United States: US$36.1 billion (26.8% of total Irish exports)
    United Kingdom: $18.3 billion (13.5%)
    Belgium: $15 billion (11.1%)
    Germany: $10.8 billion (8%)
    Switzerland: $7 billion (5.2%)
    Netherlands: $6.7 billion (4.9%)
    France: $5.9 billion (4.3%)

So you are suggesting Ireland turns its back on Europe inorder to stay close to the UK? As shown below the UK has a trade surplus with Ireland, wonder how that goes once all those lovely tarrifs kick in.
    It's a decision for Ireland to consider. I wasn't advocating it, merely pointing it out that I don't think the suggestion is a merger with the United Kingdom, just a trade alignment.

I wonder if anyone in Ireland has done any economic modelling for a post Brexit world.

I can quite imagine if the UK manages a successful Brexit, there will be an increase in those in Ireland considering Irexit and that may also be affected by any more meddling by the EU in Ireland's fiscal policy.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    meddling by the EU in Ireland's fiscal policy.
    I guess that sums up the mindset difference between people who voted brexit and those like me (and 90% of the people of Ireland), who accept that it is far from a perfect institution but on balance the advantages considerably outweight the disadvantages.

One person's meddling is another person's order to adhere to the rules of the club.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...eals-1.3488112

I wonder if anyone in Ireland has done any economic modelling for a post Brexit world.
    Yes and it ain't good.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/...-37643523.html

Not quite what I meant Pat. I was thinking more of 10 year forecasts based on 2-3 different scenarios as the Treasury has done.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I guess that sums up the mindset difference between people who voted brexit and those like me (and 90% of the people of Ireland), who accept that it is far from a perfect institution but on balance the advantages considerably outweight the disadvantages.

One person's meddling is another person's order to adhere to the rules of the club.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...eals-1.3488112
    Are you trying to tell me the Irish Government are relaxed about EU interference in their fiscal policy?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...-tax-1.3238859

It doesn't seem that way.

The problem is with Lisbon, it gave the EU the opportunity to assume competencies and expand it's reach in a way previous treaties hadn't.
    Hence we haven't seen a new treaty since.

In terms of the public support for the EU in Ireland if so many Irish eurosceptics have changed opinion, it just seems to show that the EU policy of playing tough, scaring others, is actually working.

Maybe it will help retain the other 27. Time will tell.

Have a good Xmas everyone
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Are you trying to tell me the Irish Government are relaxed about EU interference in their fiscal policy?
    Does not take Einstein to work out that you probably voted Brexit, and it is obvious why, do don't really get what it is all about. The EU is a brutal capitalist organisation that is trying to improve the wealth of its citizens, by, being blunt, creating the environment for businesses to make more money. One of the most important aspects of that environment, is that it has to be a level playing field, in that companies in one country cannot undercut companies in another. Hence labour law and environment regulations, etc. are standardized. Imagine if a pharmaceutical company in Spain undercuts the prices of a competitor in Germany because the Spanish government are relaxed about them polluting their local river, while the German company pays a fortune handling its waste. In fact that is why Corbyn hates the EU, he wants the power to be able to subsidize/nationalise companies. Once again imagine how the German government would feel if their industry is loosing businesses to inferior UK ones because the UK government is supporting them. In fact that is currently happening with China.

Corporation tax rate, is another way counties can undercut each other and the EU are rightly pissed off with Ireland, but can do nothing about it because corporation tax is a national issue not an EU issue.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Vladimir Putin supports Brexit, which is a definitive indication that Brexit must be a really bad idea.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Vladimir Putin supports Brexit, which is a definitive indication that Brexit must be a really bad idea.
    Divide and conquer.
    Trump is the same.