Page 193 of 268 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

We kept the pound for a reason. That reason is now becoming clear.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Today juncker was blaming Norman Lamont for our leaving, for failing to keep in the band of the ERM during soros's speculative attack. Juncker does confuse carts and horses when it suits him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Fascist!
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

If the EU decides to get involved with this, I wonder how Oracle will react? Will this be another case of the EU sticking its nose into the workings of individual countries?
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...rbnb-expansion

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    One of the most fundamental agreements is the demand of EU, that if Switzerland stock market is to have access to the EU - they must treat all EU citizens as having equal rights to swiss citizens on Swiss soil.

The EU really does not respect sovereignty. It is annexation by other means.

The swiss rightly say Nein!
    Net result the market will be turned off.
    It is petty and vindictive.

That ideology prevents sensible deals being done.
    Which is our problem over Northern Ireland.

All ideologues create the seeds of their own destruction because of refusal to compromise. And so it is with EU.
    But if the EU compromises 'Oracle' they sow the seeds of their own destruction anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    If the EU decides to get involved with this, I wonder how Oracle will react? Will this be another case of the EU sticking its nose into the workings of individual countries?
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...rbnb-expansion
    Yes - the first time I came across this sort of random letting was up in Troon. I was working there briefly and a home owner told me how they welcomed the big gold tournaments as they could let out their house, and take a holiday effectively free of charge for the moment they received in rental.

I've since found out it happens all over the world, but here in the UK at other venues for the big golf tournaments, Wimbledon etc.

So the concept has been long established.

That doesn't mean it doesn't need managing.

But the issues raised by it and the factors that might need some managing are different whether you live in Dubrovnik, Ullapool, or London.

So it should be left to the local politicians to handle. It doesn't need pan European policy, as how will you deal with it? It cannot be the same solution for Barcelona and Asturias.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Indeed
    It is tackled at local level in some countries.

In Portugal you now need an " alojamento locale" - a letting license to advertise on airbnb or tripadvisor: the platforms cannot advertise without it by law.
    That gives the state a measure of control, and a way it can track undeclared income.
    It is controlled at council level.

The EU does not need to be involved. But then that is true of most of what the EU does. The subsidiarity declared in Lisbon agreement has always been ignored in Brussels in the relentless empire building,

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Yes - the first time I came across this sort of random letting was up in Troon. I was working there briefly and a home owner told me how they welcomed the big gold tournaments as they could let out their house, and take a holiday effectively free of charge for the moment they received in rental.

I've since found out it happens all over the world, but here in the UK at other venues for the big golf tournaments, Wimbledon etc.

So the concept has been long established.

That doesn't mean it doesn't need managing.

But the issues raised by it and the factors that might need some managing are different whether you live in Dubrovnik, Ullapool, or London.

So it should be left to the local politicians to handle. It doesn't need pan European policy, as how will you deal with it? It cannot be the same solution for Barcelona and Asturias.
    Last edited by Oracle; 21-06-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Really this thread should be let die but this headline is too funny to ignore.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ditch-backstop

[DUP] Brexit spokesman Sammy Wilson also urged Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt to ‘stand up to’ Dublin over issue

I have this right do I? The UK is one of the most powerfull countries in the world and Ireland is a tiny insignificant island of 4.5 million people off the west coast of Europe?

The DUP really do need to get off their ideological high horse.

Meanwhile democracy in the EU flourishes.

https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu...ean-parliament

Maybe we should take their lead and refuse to recognise all the NATs MPs that go to the Commons
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post

[DUP] Brexit spokesman Sammy Wilson also urged Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt to ‘stand up to’ Dublin over issue

I have this right do I? The UK is one of the most powerfull countries in the world and Ireland is a tiny insignificant island of 4.5 million people off the west coast of Europe?
    Well it is Ireland backed by the rest of the EU, an organisation well known for its bullying tactics. Just ask the Greeks and now Switzerland. But yes Ireland's ultra hard-line stance hasn't helped.

The DUP really do need to get off their ideological high horse.
    I know, fancy not wanting their rights trampled all over. How unreasonable of them.