Page 52 of 268 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry;645543
    Suppose the UK and EU trade on WTO terms after Brexit. Suppose American apples arriving in the UK at an English port have to go through controls, but Irish apples crossing the border into Northern Ireland (also the UK) do not. Then the US could complain that its apples were discriminated against. They weren’t given equal treatment with Irish apples when they entered the UK.

The US might seek a legal ruling in WTO dispute settlement. Months or years later, the ruling might conclude that the UK had discriminated. So either checks at the English ports would have to be dropped, or checks at the Irish border would have to be set up.

In other words, while no WTO rule actually says the UK will have to set up border checks, the non-discrimination rule may force it to.

[url
    https://tradebetablog.wordpress.com/2018/07/18/does-the-wto-require-countries-to-control-their-borders/[/url]
    But the American apple distributor will not be being discriminated against. If there are tariffs on imported American apples then there will also be tariffs on apples coming from the Irish Republic. But these will be dealt with by electronic declarations.

Only 4% of goods entering the UK from non-EU countries is checked at Customs and most of these are documentary. Irish tax authorities told a committee of Irish parliamentarians that in 2016 “6% of import declarations were checked and less than 2% were physically checked”.

Super Moderator
    Anyone see the pig-man interviewed on tv going out for his jog t’other day?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Anyone see the pig-man interviewed on tv going out for his jog t’other day?
    Andrew, posting at 9.25 a.m. on a Saturday?

Why weren't you at the Keighley park run?

Ian
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Super Moderator
    Sorry Ian

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Suppose American apples arriving in the UK at an English port have to go through controls, but Irish apples crossing the border into Northern Ireland (also the UK) do not. Then the US could complain that its apples were discriminated against. They weren’t given equal treatment with Irish apples when they entered the UK.
    https://tradebetablog.wordpress.com/...their-borders/

It happens now. Different crossings have different risk assessments whether it is for immigration, duty or tax evasion or smuggling.

What matters is that all WTO partners are treated the same at the same border point.

So USA and Irish apples might both be checked at Port of Belfast, and both might be waved through at the Lifford/Strabane road crossing.

That applies unless a separate bi-lateral agreement / FTA is in place.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Found this on my FaceAche feed.

Here's a comment from someone living in Holland:

Earlier today I asked the question " Would you vote Remain or Leave now you know more about the EU?" and a friend of mine Eddy Lonergan posted this comment .... I've typed it out word for word as I believe that everybody, needs to know whats really happening in Europe by somebody who has lived in Holland for almost the past 4 decades,
    PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS REGARDLESS OF WHAT SIDE OF THE BREXIT FENCE YOU FIND YOURSELF BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT EVERYBODY SHOULD KNOW WHATS NOT BEING GIVEN NEWS COVERAGE .....

Eddy Lonergan's own words ... not mine

"I wish the Brits would take the time to see whats going on here Roger. ... I'm a scouser living in Holland getting on 40 years now. .... It is just as bad, in some ways worse than in the UK. For example, Health Insurance is compulsory whether working or unemployed. My wife and I pay 250 euros per month and that is basic, no dentals, physios or extras. 2 major hospitals have shut down - there are no beds - the A&E is the same as the UK, families are asked to look after their parents because of shortages in Care.

The immigration problem is a laughing stock, food banks are noT coping, people in work are not making ends meet and are relying on food banks. .... Belgium, Germany and France have the same problems. Angela Merkel is stepping down as Prime Minister (Chancellor) but has forgot to tell everyone she has a secure high position in Brussels. .... Why would you want to be a member of a gang of pocket-filling thieves who do not care about their people? ... As for Junker ... don't get me started ....

The EU countries are crumbling and no f*cker gives a"dangle-doo-dandy", so GET OUT while you can and maybe others will follow suit". .... They are scaring and flexing their muscles and hoping that it will turn around, because the membership fee the UK puts in every year will have to be put up by the remaining countries. .... Holland will have to double their fee we've been told. ... What other countries can afford this?

Spain, Greece, Italy all bankrupt, so you see the EU does not want to lose the UK and will bully any way to try to win it over by threatening the Northern Ireland deal, the fishing deal, giving back Gibraltar and whatever else they can get their grubby hands on, so don't be fooled, it's not a bed of roses, things are bad here and like I said, in some matters its worse.

The riots in France are not just about fuel tax, its about living standards. .... Belgium and Holland have also taken up the baton with the Yellow Jacket Demonstrators because they're tired of it. .... Take the time to find out yourselves, then you will be glad of Brexit, and like I've said, with sense, holland will follow suit" ....'

End of quote.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Just in case we'd forgotten Grexit, PIIGS, Dutch sabre rattling and all the other signs of creaking institution that filled the news before our Referendum vote clogged the airwaves.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Out out out.

Role on the 29th March 👍

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Either Wheeze is taking irony to new dimensions, or he is actually reproducing a load of *&@*^% he found on FaceAche (quoting the renowned and respected commentator on European affairs, Eddy Lonergan ) on this Forum. Since he's an educated sort of fellow, I am assuming the former.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    That's an interesting point CL. And I agree on one level it was clear - leave or remain.

I was saying it has caused division among those who voted to leave and among those who are trying to implement it, since there are different interpretations regarding how much people want to leave - just a bit, or completely.

Do I assume correctly that you'd like to leave completely?
    Not if we ended up with a Marxist in 10 Downing street. That would be taking unlimited majority rule a bit too far!