Page 1 of 268 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Brexit

So you folk who supported Brexit still think it was a good idea? With the current government leading on it god knows where we will end up. The only clear thing is we will be worse off when we get through all this mess!

I reckon if we had a referundum now there would be an overwhelming majority voting remain

In the short term we may be worse off. Given the way Europe seems to be heading though, is that something we would ever have signed up for? I'm not really sure anything has changed, Europe is playing hard ball, legally we don't seem to owe anything so surely any settlement must be offset against future trade deals etc.Party politics aside, I think the government are doing a pretty decent job of negotiating without giving too much away.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

It's interesting how people can hold such different views on watching the same events unfolding.

FWIW, I think individuals in the government may be doing a decent job (we just can't tell), but that as a unit they are removing credibility from their actions by displaying their lack of unity on key issues.

I agree we'll be worse off in the short-term. I think we'll be also be worse off in the medium-term (eg 15 years). Beyond that is anyone's guess.

But remember, economic prosperity was not the main driver of the leave vote. And a slower-growing economy definitely fuels less immigration.

The way I see it that in the short term the politicians are so distracted to and disorganised that all the current priorities will slip - school funding, inefficient NHS, adult social care etc

Longer term - benefits - what benefits of brexit? We will still need immigration, we will still being paying EU something, farmers will face ruin, the money for NHS will not be there, we will lose some of our financial clout in the city, Corbyn will come into power, my holiday to Europe will cost more, we will erode our human rights and environmental laws. Yep great idea

Time for another referendum

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    But remember, economic prosperity was not the main driver of the leave vote.
    Gullible stupidity wasn't it?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

The best thing I have heard on this whole issue was a phone interview with Michael Heseltine conducted by Steve Nolan on 5 live late one Sunday.
    Nolan was doing his best to unpick Hezza's postion as a confirmed remainer along the lines of 'the people have spoken, why are you, as a politician of the party in charge of brexit, trying so hard to overturn the peoples choice?'. The answer was simple and direct. He stated that it was always the job of a politician to overturn the peoples choice...that was the whole job of a political party in opposition....so why should this be any different?. A good answer I thought.

The one thing that puzzles me is why was there not a precondition that a change would only be triggered by a sensible majority, say 60:40? As it is, a questionable majority of a few percent is always going to lead to rancour and discord.
    Aye, run it again but set a sensible majority.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    The one thing that puzzles me is why was there not a precondition that a change would only be triggered by a sensible majority, say 60:40? As it is, a questionable majority of a few percent is always going to lead to rancour and discord.
    I have wondered that exact same question right from the start. Leaving aside the aftermath it was also a badly organised/framed referendum. I mean you could not call a one day strike with the referendums result, but you can irreversibly change the direction of the country...

I think this point is made even more valid by the fact that (when he thought it was going the other way) the leader of the leave campaign said something like "if the result is 52:48 that won't be the end of the story"

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Gullible stupidity wasn't it?
    I’ve always liked you.

The best thing I have heard on this whole issue was a phone interview with Michael Heseltine conducted by Steve Nolan on 5 live late one Sunday.
    Nolan was doing his best to unpick Hezza's postion as a confirmed remainer along the lines of 'the people have spoken, why are you, as a politician of the party in charge of brexit, trying so hard to overturn the peoples choice?'. The answer was simple and direct. He stated that it was always the job of a politician to overturn the peoples choice...that was the whole job of a political party in opposition....so why should this be any different?. A good answer I thought.

I do hope you’re changing your mind.

Master

I wasn't going to come on this Brexit thread too many Remoaner lefties whinging about spilt milk. But then I couldn't let this con pass me by. Wheeze lets gets Brexit done THEN we'll adopt your 60:40 vote, what do ya say? Of course the 60% rather than the 40% has to be for change for change to occur.

Give me strength!