Page 122 of 268 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

He didn’t mention VAT once, now that is confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

Just a final point on the rather out of context mentions of personal misdemeanours, is that some of the leading lights of Remain are hardly paragons of virtue.
    We have the late Paddy Pantsdown, Sir John Major who had it away with Edwina, Mandelson who had to resign twice for a fraudulent mortgage application and having a quiet word with the home office to get passports for the Hinduja brothers.
    The fact is that life is littered with people who make errors of judgement in their private life.
    Criminal behaviour is a different matter. Unethical behaviour also in certain cases, but I think we have to be careful not to start throwing mud at people in this way.
    We know about these instances, but how many are there we don't know about?
    Well thank you for your help WP - I'll certainly hold all your points in mind

But c’mon WP – you’re way better than that! You know I wasn’t criticising divorce or divorcees per se. Shit happens to us all and sometimes despite our very best intentions that we set out with, we end up getting completely scuppered by life's events. Slings and arrows and all that. In today’s modern world few of us (I include myself) are lucky enough to remain unscathed. And yes, Remain politicians too aren't saints by any means – just not in Johnson’s duplicitous philandering league. Pity those he has hurt, no?

In case you haven't quite caught up with the thread, the 'context' was in reply to Oracle's earlier posts beatifying the Blubbery Boris shyster. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, to experience one divorce is unfortunate, but to instigate a string of the the f’ing things, while also being renown for 'putting it about' and still married, is surely taking the p*ss.

Nice to see the Shyster voted for May’s deal the last time round though Must have cheered his ‘hard’ Brexiteer mates up no end to realise he's a man they can truely rely upon to follow through on his word (they should have asked his missus(es)) .
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I notice we're already into a tangent from the main thread - Brexit.
    well you started the tangent

You use the term "harder" to buy a first house relative to 20 years ago.

I agree, to a degree.

I think buying a house used t0 require a period of living at home with parents while working, squirrelling some money away, pairing up with a partner and polling your resources to the point where you can go armed with a deposit, get approved for your mortgage and find a property within your income range.

The "finding a property within your income range" has become more difficult especially the closer you get to the South East, or in an area of interest. I have noted the cost on Keswick for example as my daughter needed somewhere up there a few years back and we settled on Maryport which was more affordable.

But the other factors are down to a change in society. A typical 25 year old in the 90s would have spent more time earning, saving, more likely to have lived at home during a fair portion of that period.
    Nowadays that is less likely.

I'm not sure it's that complicated.

So a 35 year old today has probably been in the workplace for 2-5 years less than in the 90s, spent more time away from home, as acquired debt ion a way we didn't a generation back.

ergo, they are for several factors going to be less likely to own a home at the age of 35.

Also bear in mind the way working practices have changed, which has had a huge effect on our sport.

Few of the kids that have left our club at 18 to attend University come back to live in the local area.

My own daughters are now 28 and 25 and neither have lived back at home other than summer recess since they were 18.

The 28 year was in Uni until 24 doing a degree and then a Masters has lived in Bangor, Mold, Maryport and now Leyland.

The young are not rooted in the way we were. Life has changed.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Well thank you for your help WP - I'll certainly hold all your points in mind

But c’mon WP – you’re way better than that! You know I wasn’t criticising divorce or divorcees per se. Shit happens to us all and sometimes despite our very best intentions that we set out with, we end up getting completely scuppered by life's events. Slings and arrows and all that. In today’s modern world few of us (I include myself) are lucky enough to remain unscathed. And yes, Remain politicians too aren't saints by any means – just not in Johnson’s duplicitous philandering league. Pity those he has hurt, no?

In case you haven't quite caught up with the thread, the 'context' was in reply to Oracle's earlier posts beatifying the Blubbery Boris shyster. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, to experience one divorce is unfortunate, but to instigate a string of the the f’ing things, while also being renown for 'putting it about' and still married, is surely taking the p*ss.

Nice to see the Shyster voted for May’s deal the last time round though Must have cheered his ‘hard’ Brexiteer mates up no end to realise he's a man they can truely rely upon to follow through on his word (they should have asked his missus(es)) .
    If you weren't criticising divorce or divorcees, this post fails to clear you

If I could have picked a Tory leader to take us through this process in 2016 after Cameron resigned, it would have been Davis.

He understands the personalities, having worked with Barnier in the past and he understands the EU.

The way out of this, in my opinion, to achieve an outcome that I believe in, is to replace May with a Leave supporting Tory MP.

Then to go to the electorate with the Tory vision in a manifesto and the Labour vision in a manifesto and even the LibDems.

Johnson has his faults, but he is also the most popular of the potential Tory leaders.

Perhaps those who would consider him a potential leader are just fed up of people running the country down. Johnson is optimistic, and positive.

Will he have the capacity to lead and deliver? Who knows? But if the UK hating Corby and his mates ever gain power, we might as well put the lights out as we leave.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    If you weren't criticising divorce or divorcees, this post fails to clear you

If I could have picked a Tory leader to take us through this process in 2016 after Cameron resigned, it would have been Davis.

He understands the personalities, having worked with Barnier in the past and he understands the EU.

The way out of this, in my opinion, to achieve an outcome that I believe in, is to replace May with a Leave supporting Tory MP.

Then to go to the electorate with the Tory vision in a manifesto and the Labour vision in a manifesto and even the LibDems.

Johnson has his faults, but he is also the most popular of the potential Tory leaders.

Perhaps those who would consider him a potential leader are just fed up of people running the country down. Johnson is optimistic, and positive.

Will he have the capacity to lead and deliver? Who knows? But if the UK hating Corby and his mates ever gain power, we might as well put the lights out as we leave.
    David Davis is, from what I know about him at least, a decent bloke, and while I don't agree with his brand of politics, I'd 'trust' him (as far as anyone would trust a politician) more than I would many MPs (from a range of political persuasions) to act thoughtfully and with integrity. His civil liberties stance says a lot, as well as his courage to put his career potentially on the line in order to 'do the right thing' for the country, as he believed anyway. There's no comparison between Davis and that skunk Johnson.

Sadly, I don't think Davis is in with a real chance to replace the Maybot. I'd have serious concerns for the up-hill task of trying to heal the destructive divide we have in our country if Johnson somehow orchestrates to become PM - there will be an almighty sh*tstorm. More broadly, Johnson is 'marmite' and while many Tory voters might rate him (although I also know several who really don't) he'd be a liability for the Consvertives at the next General Election. Umm....although who'd have believed Trump would have been elected! Now where's my OMM sh*tstorm jacket
    Am Yisrael Chai

Banned
    Davis has support and friends both sides of the house, he is not tribal. Sadly the electorate know little about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    David Davis is, from what I know about him at least, a decent bloke, and while I don't agree with his brand of politics, I'd 'trust' him (as far as anyone would trust a politician) more than I would many MPs (from a range of political persuasions) to act thoughtfully and with integrity. His civil liberties stance says a lot, as well as his courage to put his career potentially on the line in order to 'do the right thing' for the country, as he believed anyway. There's no comparison between Davis and that skunk Johnson.

Sadly, I don't think Davis is in with a real chance to replace the Maybot. I'd have serious concerns for the up-hill task of trying to heal the destructive divide we have in our country if Johnson somehow orchestrates to become PM - there will be an almighty sh*tstorm. More broadly, Johnson is 'marmite' and while many Tory voters might rate him (although I also know several who really don't) he'd be a liability for the Consvertives at the next General Election. Umm....although who'd have believed Trump would have been elected! Now where's my OMM sh*tstorm jacket

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    You've lost me there. What did you think I was saying?
    You suggested that landlords vacating the sector might actually help young people. It won't. The reverse is true. Nor is your suggestion that the proceeds would otherwise be invested in business here a reality.
    For the same reason money is leaving the house sector it will leave the U.K. Altogether.

Banned
    Where's mi BLUE passport.
    I should be out now.
    BRITISH again.

Super Moderator
    I have a RED one. It’s only a few months old but hasn’t been used yet

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I have a RED one. It’s only a few months old but hasn’t been used yet
    Mine's due for renewal in June DT. I can't decide whether to apply now and grab a red one, which might need to be replaced (at extra cost no doubt!), just like the new driving licenses with an EU flag on, or just wait for a new blue one. Here's an idea...maybe we should all be allowed to choose which colour we have an affinity for, and consequently gain the respective 'colour-related' rights accordingly... ahem ... what could possibly go wrong ?
    Am Yisrael Chai