Page 164 of 268 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    That wouldn't surprise me. Labour MP Rupa Huq on Politics Live a few weeks ago said that she wanted to be in a customs union so her child would be able to study in Switzerland.
    You couldn't make it up.
    Andrew Neil had a little fun with her.
    I would love to have seen that exchange. What a dimwit.

But rather dismaying that so many remain politicians who are acting to thwart Brexit are so ill-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Apparently last month when Corbyn first met May for talks, they had to haul in Olly Robbins to explain to Corbyn what a customs union (his party's policy) actually was.
    Nobody has yet managed to underestimate how dim Corbyn really is.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ah...but who knows who reads your wise words on the Forum?

A few years ago I wrote some kind words about Pedalare! Pedalare! and the author John Foot (Professor of Modern Italian History at University College, London) wrote and thanked me.
    I suspect he might have been the only one that read your good words!

So I could throw down the gauntlet stating that every single text book I have seen gets ohms law wrong, as do most of the teachers. So what is Ohms Law? Indeed what is the nature of the algebraic expression wrongly attributed to be ohms law, and certainly wrongly called an equation! I suspect nobody would read the answer.

So I shall ask a different question: Does the moon exist before you look at it? Google who asked that and why.
    Which gets even more interesting speaking of electrons, whatever they are. Then you have to question do they exist at all in the world anywhere, even after you have looked at them? It all becomes meaningful when trying to determine if science can explain anything at all?

Which hopefully illustrates, it really really doesnt belong on this forum!
    If macroeconomics messes with peoples heads, they should try quantum uncertainty.
    Last edited by Oracle; 01-05-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Pat you'll have to explain yourself a little better.

You say that a Customs Union wouldn't be on the table except for the DUP? Really?
    I remember reading an article a while ago, while there are 1000s of businesses trading across the border (this would include sole traders) there are less than 70 companies that trade between N.I and the UK. The value of those 70 companies would far exceed the value of the "Eire" trade. From a logistics point-of-view, it would be much simpier to have the border in the Irish Sea, but I perfectly understand why the DUP would never allow that. Hence we now are looking at a customs union for the whole of the UK.

Banned
    All of the halfway houses just show how gutless our MPs are. They are all a case of accepting all of the disadvantages, and getting none of the benefits of control or our own trade agreements. Thats why Barnier wants it. To keep us under EU thumb.

MPS only have two choices with an EU that has always refused to negotiate.
    Rescind A50 and paralyse EU until it negotiates, or Leave without a deal and show that project fear was bunk. But even that they should have done quickly. The delay is hurting not helping.

Back on topic

It looks like Mrs May is stitching some deal up with the Tories based on a Customs Union. I'm not surprised, as her Withdrawal Agreement contains one and the Future Declaration actually makes it the most likely end point.

When I consider the various types of BRINO that Remainers can cobble together to make the UK as "rejoin ready" as they can, the Customs Union element is probably the worst of them.

I have never heard a proper case put for it. Labour politicians just come out with slogans like "to protect jobs" without explaining how it might protect jobs.
    It won't.
    I don't think they appreciate how it would work in practice.

EEA works to a degree for Norway. Interestingly the Norwegians are likely in the future to withdraw from EEA to a FTA.
    There is increasing discomfort at the creeping nature of EU regs on the Norwegian economy and business.
    EEA is after all a mechanism devised as a stepping stone for joining countries and Norway is clearly not joining.

There is certainly no appetite for Norway joining the Customs Union.

EEA for the UK would be more palatable for most leavers. It does come with freedom of movement, but there are ways to deal with that within the EEA.

I'm not advocating it, but I'm surprised that EEA isn't the BRINO at the top of the list. I assume that's because both Tories and Labour see ending freedom of movement as key to future electoral success, which I think is an error.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I would love to have seen that exchange. What a dimwit.
    Brilliant.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I remember reading an article a while ago, while there are 1000s of businesses trading across the border (this would include sole traders) there are less than 70 companies that trade between N.I and the UK. The value of those 70 companies would far exceed the value of the "Eire" trade. From a logistics point-of-view, it would be much simpier to have the border in the Irish Sea, but I perfectly understand why the DUP would never allow that. Hence we now are looking at a customs union for the whole of the UK.
    Whatever the truth of those numbers, you ignore the politics. You cannot ignore the DUP however pragmatic you may consider it.

EU isdeliberately provoking unrest in the good friday agreement, by interfering with the autonomy of the UK which is none of their business. The EU approach is simple. Upset the unionists or upset the republicans.

Where the UK wants to adopt a technological solution which will cope with most of the problems, because NI also has few deep water ports or airports, so easy to determine origin at those of any substantive flow of goods.

Let us put the border between france and ireland, if EU think borders in seas are good. They should be happy with that.

How is the EU "interfering with the autonomy of the UK"? The EU does not want a border in the Irish Sea, they don't want a border anywhere. It is the May's red lines that necessitates a border.

Can I ask a question. Why has the UK not published the details to how this could work?
    "Where the UK wants to adopt a technological solution which will cope with most of the problems"

Ask yourself would you choose to have a border between your country and six counties of one million or a continent of 400 million?

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Then you have to question do they exist at all in the world anywhere, even after you have looked at them?
    No point in my asking you how many angels can dance on the head of a pin then - or the value of the whole Brexit "debate"?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I don't think it's the DUP solely holding out on that. All unionists would hold out on that.

and I'd question the validity of the figures you read in an article. the 70 figures sounds I incredibly low.

That would mean I trade with over 20% of NI companies that trade with the rest of the UK
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell