Page 173 of 268 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

What ever happened to fell running?

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    What ever happened to fell running?
    I ran Hameldon on Sunday. Probably 10 minutes slower than I would have been 10 years ago, but I was about 4 minutes faster than last year.

I must have been bad last year

Nice day for it. Clear on top, cool for the time of year but light wind and decent underfoot.

Notable for the appearance of Ben Fish in his first fell race away from Darwen Tower. Managed to take a wrong turn when in lead and come in just outside the top 20.

I'm still waiting for his Strava upload - I can't imagine where you'd lose 6+ minutes
    Last edited by Witton Park; 08-05-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Well done for getting out Witton

Oracle, how’s your leg?

Muddy do you run?

Stagger? Getting out?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Muddy do you run?
    Yes but not as much as I would like or used to do. It’s more than two years since I did a fell race - Auld Lang Syne at the end of 2016.

After that I decided to do Manchester marathon and I think the heavy training miles took their toll. A couple of weeks after the race I sustained a knee injury. I had an operation about six months later and was just starting to get back into things this time last year.

But since last autumn I have been having persistent problems with my hip. I generally run once a week - twice if it’s not flared up. I make the difference up by cycling a lot. That’s good but it doesn’t quite hit the spot that running does.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I make the difference up by cycling a lot. That’s good but it doesn’t quite hit the spot that running does.
    I used to do so much cycling and loved it. But I suppose since I discovered running off in the hills with the only sound being the wind and bird song, roads and traffic just has no appeal to me at all now.

Would mountain biking be a compromise?

Super Moderator
    I did some fairly serious mountain biking before I ran in the falls. It is great cross-training for running and in my opinion / experience much nearer to fellrunning in ‘feel’ than road cycling

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I used to do so much cycling and loved it. But I suppose since I discovered running off in the hills with the only sound being the wind and bird song, roads and traffic just has no appeal to me at all now.

Would mountain biking be a compromise?
    The roads do worry me at times. I've had a few close shaves with thoughtless motorists over the years.

When I first started cycling regularly it was on a mountain bike. I assumed that because I liked off-road running it would be the same with cycling. But I soon graduated to the road - I loved the speed of it . Although, it's not the same as running up a fell, we do have some pretty decent hills to cycle up in Yorkshire and of course come down.

I have an old mountain bike. A few years ago having encountered many bikers up around Darwen Tower and Roddlesworth I thought I'd give it a try.

Never again

Pedalling up a heavily eroded incline is not my idea of fun!

I used to run past them wondering who was the biggest nutter, but I now know. Fells are for feet, keep the tyres on the road
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Hey what’s going on?! Forumites discussing cycling and running? This is a political forum we’ll have none of that outdoorsy exercise talk here

🤣🤣🤣

Despite our differences, there is still something very important that unites us on 'ere.

Where I live south east of manchester, it is a right mecca for mountainbikes. Loads of bridle ways with challanging but not impossible hills for them to tackle. When running on my own in the dark it is nice to have the quick hello as they pass.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 08-05-2019 at 09:39 AM.