Page 207 of 268 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Increasing energy prices has been an issue for quite a while, hence Red Ed proposing an energy price cap way back when, and then Mrs May adopting the same policy.

Quite simple really, build more capacity, don't add any tariffs to imported energy, or imported fuel, and consider reviewing the climate levies that add a huge chunk to current bills.

They can even eliminate the 5% VAT on domestic gas and electricity.
    Yes, they have. But to clear, this isn't a continuation of the price rises we've seen in recent years. It brings other factors into play.

Personally, I think climate change is more important than leaving the EU. So even if we do "crash out" (or whatever you want to call it), I wouldn't cut climate levies.

Why haven’t they published the reasonable BEST case scenario as well?
    What would be the point?

If you are putting in actions for the worse case scenario, I would assume that by default you would have covered the best case scenario.

This is not about justifying peoples' opinions, it is about being prepared.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 12-09-2019 at 01:20 PM.

exactly Pat. Being prepared does NOT mean it will happen. But try telling a newspaper editor or keyboard warrior that!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    What would be the point?

If you are putting in actions for the worse case scenario, I would assume that by default you would have covered the best case scenario.

This is not about justifying peoples' opinions, it is about being prepared.
    I think you get my point, but OK Pat, so why don't they war game the Revoke scenario?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I think you get my point, but OK Pat, so why don't they war game the Revoke scenario?
    What would be the point if they have no intention of doing so?
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 12-09-2019 at 03:26 PM.

That's an interesting question. What kind of output do you think you might get from that? Won't all the answers be: we continue to...

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    That's an interesting question. What kind of output do you think you might get from that? Won't all the answers be: we continue to...
    well if they've identified public disorder as one risk, it will be the same with bells on if we revoke.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Good point.

You say "with bells on". Do we think brexiteers are more prone to rioting that remainers?

Or should we be ready for riots either way? No deal = riots, deal = riots, remain for a while longer = riots, remain = riots.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Good point.

You say "with bells on". Do we think brexiteers are more prone to rioting that remainers?

Or should we be ready for riots either way? No deal = riots, deal = riots, remain for a while longer = riots, remain = riots.
    I'm a Brexiteer and I've never taken part in a protest and never been a member of a political party. I'd be more likely to emigrate if I felt the fabric of our country was going to be decimated - and I do think that's a genuine risk.

But consider we leave. That is the democratic result delivered. You can argue about nuances, but leaving would deliver on the referendum.

Not leaving renders democracy in effect dead.

There's a really good article here from Vernon Bogdanor - if you don't know him, he is probably the most revered constitutional expert in the UK.

He makes the point that this isn't a democratic crisis, in fact it has perhaps created a more healthy democratic environment.

But there is a real danger. Many peoples votes don't usually count. Anyone but Labour in Blackburn, anyone but Tory in Henley.

In 2016 they counted.

I'm not sure how Brexiteers would react if their mandate was undermined. But I can imagine it would be an angry reaction.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

The DUP have a lot to answer for; this could have been sorted out long ago if they were not so stubborn about their "Britishness" being effected. In the poll below 58.4% favour the Irish Sea border, that would include the vast majority of Nationalists and people who would not put themselves in either camp plus a significant minority of Unionists.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...stop-lbrjn0f5g