Page 22 of 268 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post

Out of interest what question would you ask?
    Something like this:

I believe the result of the 2016 referendum should stand: Yes/No
    I believe there should be a second referendum: Yes/No

If a majority of voters want a second referendum, one will take place, in which case I will vote For/Against the Brexit deal as per Teresa May's plan. If Against, it would mean remaining in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    If a majority of voters want a second referendum, one will take place, in which case I will vote For/Against the Brexit deal as per Teresa May's plan. If Against, it would mean remaining in the EU.
    So the option would be Teresa May's plan (Brexit in Name only) or Remain?

What about those of us who want to leave properly, are we to be disenfranchised?

Banned
    We've had a vote.
    The outcome was leave.
    The majority that voted requested that.
    The government spent millions on trying to persuade us to remain.

Stick with the original vote and build a new hospital with the money saved.

Or is it tear down five hospitals to account for the lost tax take?

That's one of the problems. Some of the people who voted to leave voted on the promise that we'd have a lot more money to spend on things like hospitals.

I acknowledge that many voted leave for other reasons, and would rather be freer despite being poorer.

NOBODY knew in any detail what they were actually voting for in the referendum. Purely a decision in principle. NOBODY but NOBODY knows what the actual outcome of any decision or negotiation will be; standard of living, inflation, interest rates, unemployment. There are too many variables and assumptions to come to any reliable conclusion. The same can be said of remaining in the EU.

That doesn't stop the many protagonists expressing opinions, which they vehemently believe to be and aggressively assert are FACTS. Too many, mainly second rate politicians with their own self serving agenda; let's force a general election so we can be in power, let's throw out May because I want to be PM, let's start scare stories to get votes.

It is what it is, but at some point we are all going to have to make it work, otherwise the predicted disaster will be self-fulfilling.

Carry on chaps........
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Jacob Rees-Mogg seems to be rattled - stooping to personal abuse against the Governor of the Bank of England https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-pol...ier-politician . Maybe he can't find anything substantive to criticise the Governor on?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Jacob Rees-Mogg seems to be rattled - stooping to personal abuse against the Governor of the Bank of England https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-pol...ier-politician . Maybe he can't find anything substantive to criticise the Governor on?
    That was not personal abuse but just saying it as it is.

Carney's project fear forecast's were spectacularly wrong prior to and following the referendum and he is at it again. In most lines of business he would have been sacked for incompetence not given an extra year to oversee Brexit.

Same old, same old establishment pissing in the same pot.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Interesting point from Jeremy Corbyn yesterday in response to Teresa May saying it's the only deal available, but it's the best deal available.
    "It is not hard to be the best deal if it is the only deal..." "...by definition it is also the worst".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Carney's project fear forecast's were spectacularly wrong prior to and following the referendum and he is at it again. In most lines of business he would have been sacked for incompetence not given an extra year to oversee Brexit.

What really struck me about JR-M's comments was that it would have been easy to simply point out that the Bank of England doesn't have a very good forecasting record , but he still resorted to what I would definitely regard as personal abuse.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Absolutely right and yet the BBC and other outlets just lap it all up completely uncritically. Never mind the fact that the immediate forecasts made by these organisations before the referendum proved to be hilariously wrong. Their credibility should be absolutely shattered but you would never know it. Having been proved wrong in 2016 the Bank of England has decided to go for something off the scale, suggesting an 8% drop in GDP in one year could happen. This would be something unprecedented in the UK in modern times. All we would be doing is trading on WTO terms for God's sake, exactly the same basis as we currently do with the USA - our single biggest export market!

Here is a good article by the economist Andrew Lilico.

https://capx.co/the-bank-of-englands...theyre-absurd/