Page 31 of 268 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Now then Noel, tell where the first operational stretch of motorway was in the UK? North or South??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

That's an interesting question, and I could google it but I won't. I'd say the A1 somewhere in the North - maybe around South Yorkshire. How did I do?

It was the M1 (now called M6) Preston Bypass. Not far from your neck of the woods! It was just one of those things I knew!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Government GUILTY
    What's the punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Government GUILTY
    What's the punishment?
    The Government has backed down and said it will publish the full legal advice on the withdrawal agreement given to it by the Attorney General. Technically there could be sanctions against ministers such as suspension or even expulsion from the Commons. I suspect that is unlikely if the Government keeps its word and publishes the full document. Whether there is anything in there worse than what we already know (i.e. our impending colony nation status) remains to be seen.

I think they should be told that they've let the country down and let parliament down, but worst of all they've let themselves down. Then they should be told to have a long hard think about what they've done.

Just seen Sam Gyimah, the most recently resigned minister make one of the best contributions I've seen in the Commons.
    I do disagree with his conclusion, but he does raise points seldom heard.
    If you can get it online, it's worth watching, or reading later on Hansard.

The main one that struck with me was that we have a non-binding declaration on the future relationship.

But the EU has elections next year, will be focussed on that and we will lose a year of the transition due to this.

Then we will have a limited period to conclude, working with a new Commission, on the basis of a non-binding agreement with a previous Commission.

He feels we could be forced in to the transition extension having made little progress (extra costs) and more or less held there until we agree to something that favours the EU as we have a clock ticking on Northern Ireland (to avoid a customs border down the Irish Sea) but the EU has all the time in the world as they have an annual fee as long as we stay in the transition extension.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

He feels we could be forced in to the transition extension having made little progress (extra costs) and more or less held there until we agree to something that favours the EU as we have a clock ticking on Northern Ireland (to avoid a customs border down the Irish Sea) but the EU has all the time in the world as they have an annual fee as long as we stay in the transition extension.
    Indeed. They have no incentive to let us go. The whole thing has been concocted to stop the UK making a success of Brexit i.e. having the ability to sign free trade deals and reduce food tariffs so that we can import food more cheaply, which would then undercut protectionist EU farmers. And if they ever did release us from serfdom it would be at a heavy price as the French and Spanish have already made clear. Every country would have a demand to make.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 05-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.

A trade union has a meeting and a proposal is unanimously passed to pursue a 6% pay rise. The shop stewards then head off to management and after prolonged negotiations they come back with a 2.1% rate of inflation deal. The members go mad because that is not what they voted for. The fact that 6% was never on offer in the first place does not matter, they voted for it. Whose fault is it that they did not get the agreed 6%?

Is that any different to the Brexit situation?

Managment (EU)
    Shop Stewards (UK Negotiators)
    Union Members (Brexiteers)
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 06-12-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    A trade union has a meeting and a proposal is unanimously passed to pursue a 6% pay rise. The shop stewards then head off to management and after prolonged negotiations they come back with a 2.1% rate of inflation deal. The members go mad because that is not what they voted for. The fact that 6% was never on offer in the first place does not matter, they voted for it. Whose fault is it that they did not get the agreed 6%?

Is that any different to the Brexit situation?

Managment (EU)
    Shop Stewards (UK Negotiators)
    Union Members (Brexiteers)
    I think a better analogy is that the shop stewards came back with a pay cut.