Page 60 of 268 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Corbyn is a Brexiteer. More so than May. I think he’s miscalculated his chances of gaining and retaining power long enough to implement his ideology post Brexit mind you. As have those at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    How are they stopping the UK doing just that?

By conspiring with their kindred. That is Theresa May and her gang of remainers.
    Last edited by CL; 09-02-2019 at 01:39 AM.

Master
    Let's face it the majority of our politicians are the soul mates of the European Bureaucracy. They adore one another. If we leave a piece of them dies and their dream of the ultimate chumocracy. That is jobs for them and their chums on the gravy train. Making money from finding new ways of controlling our lives.

They can't have that so they're trying to figure out how to achieve Brexit without leaving the EU. Theresa May is an embarrassment to the UK. She's like a child who doesn't want to do her homework. Dragging things out for the sake of it in the hope that SOMEHOW her homework might do itself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Just to be contrary. I voted remain.

I think the following should be done

Decide
    Implement
    Test and evaluate
    Repeat

Although I’ve never been happy about the various opt outs we’ve had and would happily see them gone.

For extra bonus points. And assuming we do actually leave and not half some half arsed never ending BINO. (Although there are advantages to BINO in that it gives us time to prepare for trade deals rather than rushing into them in a panic with a lack of skills. ) A vote to rejoin should require a minimum % of the electorate. I honestly think this should this should be the case for all matters of this nature. Pissing around with a couple of % here or there shouldn’t be enough. It’s not decisive.
    Bet you don't complain when a 100m race is won by 1/100th of a second? Decisive with a couple of percent here or there hey?

😂 ..... 🙄
    Last edited by shaunaneto; 09-02-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Hopefully Seaborne won’t prove to be an allegory for Brexit!

“We can do this.... oh.... hold on...”

On a related and dare I say constructive topic. I do have some export experience, admittedly we went for ex works as much as possible, does anyone have any recommendations for import/export professional development? I’ve found the obvious stuff at export.org.uk

There’s a couple of sea and air freight points within 40min, could be something worth a shout.

Allegory, is that the right word?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Wheeze I'm perplexed by your belief that trading on WTO rules will help us out relative to what we have now. [/url]
    The ultimate aim should be to achieve as many free trade deals as possible, including with the EU. Many Brexiteers advocate a Canada style trade agreement with the EU. But WTO rules provide a workable fall back position where this is currently not possible. Outside the Customs Union, the UK has the opportunity to sign trade deals with other countries that are more tailor-made to its economy. Economies outside the EU are growing far more quickly than inside and this needs to be exploited. The UK can also reduce tariffs on imports from around the world and make food for example cheaper. What many people fail to understand is that the EU is a protectionist organisation and its common agricultural policy penalises agricultural producers from third world countires.

The Government's negotiations have been a spectacular failure. There have been many reasons for this. One of the most important was its failure to recognise that it was dealing with an entity that means this country harm. As I mentioned the other week, French newspaper Le Point quoted Michael Barnier as having said in 2016 “I’ll have done my job if, in the end, the deal is so tough on the British that they’d prefer to stay in the EU”. Yanis Varoufakis also warned us what would happen.

The Government has offered up concession after concession and got itself trapped with the ridiculous backstop while getting nothing in return. It should have been much more hard headed, offered a free trade deal Canada style but prepared for the possibility of no-deal from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    . Listen to people who lead exporting companies. Here's the number one priority from the CBI: A barrier-free relationship with our largest, closest and most important trading partner
    You speak as if the CBI has a great track record with its recommendations. It advocated that we join the ERM, which when we did led to soaring interest rates and thousands of homes being repossessed. It also banged the drum for Britain joining the euro and warned of dire consequences if we didn't. How did that one work out?

It's no surprise that the CBI is in favour of the EU. It is the voice of big business, which of course loves the complex regulation of the Single Market. This provides a perfect barrier to entry to enterprising start-up firms that don't have the compliance departments of the large corporations. Large firms also have the lobbying clout to influence unelected officials in Brussels to get the regulation they want, something not available to the smaller business. Yet all firms are subject to EU single market regulation even though the vast majority don't export to the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Economies outside the EU are growing far more quickly than inside...
    That's a pretty sweeping statement MR. Almost Johnson-esque. Can you provide any figures on this? The part that would be most relevant would be to ask about the size of these economies, and whether these large and fast-growing economies of comparable size to those within the EU already have trade deals with the EU.

I wouldn't like to walk away from an existing deal with China with the promise of a deal with Nigeria.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    You speak as if the CBI has a great track record with its recommendations. It advocated that we join the ERM, which when we did led to soaring interest rates and thousands of homes being repossessed. It also banged the drum for Britain joining the euro and warned of dire consequences if we didn't. How did that one work out?

It's no surprise that the CBI is in favour of the EU. It is the voice of big business, which of course loves the complex regulation of the Single Market. This provides a perfect barrier to entry to enterprising start-up firms that don't have the compliance departments of the large corporations. Large firms also have the lobbying clout to influence unelected officials in Brussels to get the regulation they want, something not available to the smaller business. Yet all firms are subject to EU single market regulation even though the vast majority don't export to the EU.
    Some good points MR. I agree the CBI have made some poor recommendations. Let's see what small businesses think about Brexit. If your narrative were correct, they'd be clamouring for a no-deal Brexit to break the strangle-hold that big businesses have got on the UK economy. But in fact they're not:

https://www.fsb.org.uk/media-centre/...no-deal-brexit