Page 64 of 268 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

I hate phones, why did I write civic instead of civil?
    Actually the commissioners are not necessary MEPs. Most of them are senior politicians from their respective countries.

Most of them are senior politicians from their respective countries.
    and therefore, what, unelected? The point still stands.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Here are three of them!
    Donald Franciszek Tusk is a Polish politician who has been the President of the European Council since 2014. He served as Prime Minister of Poland from 2007 to 2014

Jean-Claude Juncker is a Luxembourgish politician serving as President of the European Commission since 2014. From 1995 to 2013 he served as the 23rd Prime Minister of Luxembourg; from 1989 to 2009 he was also Minister for Finances

Michel Bernard Barnier (born 9 January 1951) is a French politician serving as European Chief Negotiator for the United Kingdom Exiting the European Union since December 2016. He has served in several French cabinet positions such as Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2004 to 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    and therefore, what, unelected? The point still stands.
    They aren't elected, they are nominees from their countries. The European Parliament has to approve the Commission as a whole but cannot vote against individuals. Theoretically the European Parliament has the power to dismiss the commissioners but in all these years has never done so. The closest it came was when the Commission as a whole resigned in 1999.

The European Commission is the Executive and is the body that introduces legislation. So in effect its commissioners are like ministers of a Government. Ministers unlike commissioners are overwhelmingly elected as MP's and can be removed by the electorate.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 15-02-2019 at 09:14 AM.

The cabinate can make laws without due regard to parliment, in fact that is what May wanted to do with Brexit until Gina Miller scuppered that. The EU Commision can only propose laws to the elected parliment and council of ministers. They are NOT the same as ministers.

What's this, "unelected"? Those people ARE elected.
    Sure one does not become MEP unless is elected, no...?

It's necessary to get elected to get a seat in parliament. However, in most countries (UK included, correct me if I'm wrong) one can be part of governement without actually ever being elected.

Plus, when did you elect your royals?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    in most countries (UK included, correct me if I'm wrong) one can be part of governement without actually ever being elected.
    Yes members of the unelected house of lords can be in the cabinate.
    Seem to remember lord sainsbury was in tony blair's cabinate
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 15-02-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Breaking Brexit News!

The UK has secured a post-Brexit trading agreement with Switzerland - Hurrah!

So we can be secure in the knowledge of a tariff-free supply of Toblerone - Phew!!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    The cabinate can make laws without due regard to parliment, in fact that is what May wanted to do with Brexit until Gina Miller scuppered that. The EU Commision can only propose laws to the elected parliment and council of ministers. They are NOT the same as ministers.
    No that's not quite right.

Invoking Article 50 isn't making law. The court process was to set a matter of precedent and often Govts will let something like this play through the courts to establish precedent.

If you want to make law, you actually have to put it through Parliament and finally get the Queens signature to put it on the statute.

Where "shortcuts" exist for such as statutory instruments that is because a law has been put in place previously allowing that to happen.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    OK, so the EU Commission is made up of members of the EU, selected from MEPs, who are elected. The head is elected by the European Parliment. Which is made up of elected MEPs. I'm still struggling to see the "unelected" element here, regardless of their power(s). I also struggle to see valid criticim of decomcratic process from a country with an entirely unelected upper house, with a parliment ultimately ruled over by a monarch. And how removing ourselves from a process with which we will have to comply is somehow "freeing".

Ah, well. Back to the fells, then
    Dave, imagine if the Lords and Commons roles were reversed.

That is the nearest I can come to explaining the issue.

The unelected body in the EU is the one that sets rules and regs and the elected body only has the potential to review, at times reject or amend but the elected EU body is the subordinate body.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell