Page 65 of 268 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The unelected body in the EU is the one that sets rules and regs and the elected body only has the potential to review, at times reject or amend but the elected EU body is the subordinate body.
    Maybe you should read up a bit before posting.
    I had no idea if you were right or wrong, took me a few seconds on google to find out.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2...d-bureaucrats/

There are also many qangos in the UK that aren't elected. They have varying degrees of power over many areas of our lives.

WP, that is correct. But, unless you have come into direct contact with it, it is difficult to comprehend the massive power and imperviousness to redirection that commissioners wield.
    My eyes were opened about 15 years ago when we came up against a European Commissioner who was completely resistant to common sense change when he was imposing a Health and Safety Directive that would, at a stroke, have removed the tool of MRI scanning from medicine. This was an unintended consequence of H&S legislation aimed at protecting workers exposed to industrial electromagnetic fields. Despite major lobbying from all European Radiological Associations, Commissioner Spidler was completely intransigent. In the end, all these associations had to link hands with the manufacturers to pay for a full time lobbying office in Brussels. At the eleventh hour, after 10 years of pressure, the commission agreed to 'de-rogate' the law as it applied to medicine. This is a posh way of saying suspension not removal of the threat.
    The complete bollocks of this took massive time, energy and money away from more pressing uses such as patient care. That for me was the 'tipping point'.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Wheeze something like that would never happen with the elected house of commons, oh wait the Poll Tax.....

Is there a relationhip between a person's intransigence and how they got into their role?
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 15-02-2019 at 12:39 PM.

There was nothing wrong with the poll tax. A very vocal minority managed to get it overturned by shouting very loudly, and what did we end up with, yet another tax on those fortunate enough to live in an expensive area but not necessarily wealthy.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    What's this, "unelected"? Those people ARE elected.
    Sure one does not become MEP unless is elected, no...?

It's necessary to get elected to get a seat in parliament. However, in most countries (UK included, correct me if I'm wrong) one can be part of governement without actually ever being elected.

Plus, when did you elect your royals?
    It is becoming a increasingly rare for a minister to be from the House of Lords, especially in the cabinet. See the full list in the link below. Only a small smattering from the Lords and all relatively minor positions

https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers

The Royals, are you serious? Do you actually believe they make any laws?

the relative power of the Commission wasn't the issue here, the question was about their "elected" or otherwise nature and it seems pretty certain that this is a body which is accountable and elected. The power issue is a different argument. As has been said, that is something which is far from ideal. The conflation of "unelected" and the way in which power is distributed is a way of muddying the argument when it's clear that the Commission is indeed elected. The points about the upper house and the monarchy also remain.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Love this heading in the Guardian this morning
    "Politics live No-deal Brexit still on the table, says Leadsom"
    The UK is reserving the right to step on your foot before shooting ourselves in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    when it's clear that the Commission is indeed elected. The points about the upper house and the monarchy also remain.
    How is the Commission elected? How can they be accountable if we the people can't fire them?

The House of Lords is an anachronism and should be reformed in my opinion but at least it is only a secondary chamber. It can only delay the verdict of the Commons for a year maximum.

The monarchy argument is not relevant since it holds only ceremonial powers.

They are not elected by popular vote, but must be approved by the elected MEPs

Then, once the Commission President is chosen, each EU member state nominates a Commissioner, and each Commissioner is then subject to a hearing in one of the committees of the European Parliament (modelled on US Senate hearings of US Presidential nominees to the US cabinet). If a committee issues a ‘negative opinion’ the candidate is usually withdrawn by the government concerned. After the hearings, the team of 28 is then subject to an up/down ‘investiture vote’ by a simple majority of the MEPs.
    https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2...d-bureaucrats/

I must admit I can't remember ever voting sombody into a specific cabinate position. That must be because they are nominated.