Page 69 of 268 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Super Moderator
    Stagger just leaving the ‘democracy’ what are you hoping to get out of Brexit? What are you and the country going to gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post

Here is a very readable article about why the euro has failed.

https://qz.com/1377098/why-the-euro-failed/
    Bloody experts, we have had too much from experts during the referendum. The don't know what they are on about and it is impossible to predict what will happen in the future.

Unless, I suppose, they are saying what you want to hear.

But ignoring all that.

I read Irish newspapers and listen to the RTE News programs all the time. Why am I never hearing anything on them that the Euro has been a complete disaster and has in fact failed?

Moved it back to the correct thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Bloody experts, we have had too much from experts during the referendum. The don't know what they are on about and it is impossible to predict what will happen in the future.

Unless, I suppose, they are saying what you want to hear.
    Have you actually read the article? It is an analysis of what has actually happened not an attempt to make GDP forecasts. The former tend generally to be rather more reliable than the latter I find.

But ignoring all that.

I read Irish newspapers and listen to the RTE News programs all the time. Why am I never hearing anything on them that the Euro has been a complete disaster and has in fact failed?
    I don't know Doctor P, everybody else seems to have heard of the euro crisis. Well ok maybe not Stolly. Maybe you should broaden the outlets you get your news from.

Maybe that’s a question for the Barclay Brothers and Murdoch not Dr P.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Maybe that’s a question for the Barclay Brothers and Murdoch not Dr P.
    Stunning answer, I love it.

I have to admit I am a bit of a hypocrite. I have no sympathy for some of these jihadist who claim they were brainwashed and now regret their ways and want to come home. But decades of hostile coverage of Europe, by some sections of the media from bendy bananas to whatever, has poisoned the EU in the minds of a large percentage of the UK population.

They, however, do have some justification to their views.

Just for you Dr P and shaunaneto, here's one from the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...oseph-stiglitz

Note the comparison of US growth to eurozone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Stagger just leaving the ‘democracy’ what are you hoping to get out of Brexit? What are you and the country going to gain?
    That's the problem isn't it; Brexiteers just don't know what will really happen; they have their ideals none of which are set in stone. In my humble opinion I see this Country easily degenerating into a complete mess both morally, socially and environmentally if it crashes out.
    Last edited by wharfeego; 28-02-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Just for you Dr P and shaunaneto, here's one from the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...oseph-stiglitz

Note the comparison of US growth to eurozone as well.
    I did actually Google Joseph Stiglitz yesterday, when you first mentioned his article. He has had it in for the EU/Euro project for a long time.
    What he says is undoubtedly true for the measures he is choosing, but as I said in another post it is a much more comlex picture that those pure numbers.

I am no expert, so some of these figures, I just can't be bothered to get to understand. But the one sentence answer is: "the EU is a better place to live for a much bigger percentage of the population". I would guess that this a more important statistics for most people.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/...orming-the-us/

Not only is Europe producing an admirable and competitive growth model, it is, by design and conviction, deploying the wealth generated in economic solidarity with its broader population, not just for the top 1%. That is Europe’s greatest economic accomplishment, its greatest competitive advantage and the key to its outperformance.

Kalin Anev Janse Secretary General, European Stability Mechanism (ESM)
    With that title it will be a bias article, but it is a counter argument to Joseph Stiglitz
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 28-02-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Just been reading the comments below that article, yet another US based economist getting the knife into Europe, you would almost think they were getting scared.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 28-02-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    That's the problem isn't it; Brexiteers just don't know what will really happen; they have their ideals none of which are set in stone. In my humble opinion I see this Country easily degenerating into a complete mess both morally, socially and environmentally if it crashes out.
    You are right Andy. We don't know what will happen. Even if we have a sound plan for what could happen (which I appreciate some don't buy in to) we can always rely on our politicians to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and mess it up.

You need to look no further than Mrs May's Withdrawal Agreement, which has managed to unite Leavers and Remainers against it.

But is that any different to having been in? We had the ERM debacle, we handed back half the rebate (and other countries have similar mechanisms so it wasn't unique)for reform of CAP and CFP and got nothing.

Our Governments are capable of creative cock-ups and even misconduct in office whether we are in or out.

Morally, socially and environmentally I'd say we are in a mess anyway - and we are in. I don't think in or out makes any difference to that.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell