Page 87 of 268 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Even then, they’ll want to negotiate the best possible deal for themselves. As will everyone else we negotiate a deal with.
    A good negotiator understands how far you can push. There is a difference between hard negotiation and alienating the other party, so offering no reason to accept the deal,just as EU have done. Barnier should resign as a total failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    A good negotiator understands how far you can push. There is a difference between hard negotiation and alienating the other party, so offering no reason to accept the deal,just as EU have done. Barnier should resign as a total failure.
    I have posted on this before but to reprise;

1. A good negotiator keeps his agenda (what he really wants and what he will settle for - which are not the same as the public posturing) secret and never reveals it (because there might be a next time).

2. This negotiation is still ongoing and it is only after the dust has settled that the outcome can be evaluated against 2. by the players - who will then put the best "spin" on the outcome for public consumption.

3. There are other aspects such as how much skin you have in the game to concentrate the mind (your own job, money or in some regimes, your life) - but I think Theresa May has already discounted those issues.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    The ability to walk away is the prime key. Our Mps still fail to grasp it.

It is pointless. Here is Barniers statement: "Why should EU extend Brexit talks , they're complete" He lives in another world.
    As a negotiator you may well want to extract 40 bn from the UK , but since there is no legal imperative and the reason many in UK want to leave is partly excessive spending by brussels. As negotiator you cannot start there. All you do is alienate, you first tackle positive reasons to deal then announce the cost. Barnier is incompetent as his deal rejection has proved.

So first the EU needs a negotiator ,who recognises that until the other side agrees all matters are continuing. EU are used to laying the law down and rogue states coming to heel. All adverse votes are told to vote again in the affirmative. We are the first that have not played to the script. They have no idea what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I have posted on this before but to reprise;

1. A good negotiator keeps his agenda (what he really wants and what he will settle for - which are not the same as the public posturing) secret and never reveals it (because there might be a next time).

2. This negotiation is still ongoing and it is only after the dust has settled that the outcome can be evaluated against 2. by the players - who will then put the best "spin" on the outcome for public consumption.

3. There are other aspects such as how much skin you have in the game to concentrate the mind (your own job, money or in some regimes, your life) - but I think Theresa May has already discounted those issues.
    Last edited by Oracle; 13-03-2019 at 04:25 PM.

It is all explained here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...tJ7jJKr1DrDhz3

Hoping the link works!

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post

Hoping the link works!
    Brilliant Moley!!!!

Banned
    Government lose another vote.
    Getting closer but so is the 29th👍

Super Moderator
    30-06-2019

Banned
    For the UK to leave the EU it had to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty which gives the two sides two years to agree the terms of the split. Theresa May triggered this process on 29 March, 2017, meaning the UK is scheduled to leave at 11pm UK time on Friday, 29 March 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post

Hoping the link works!
    You've really cheered me up with that - massive thanks.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    For the UK to leave the EU it had to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty which gives the two sides two years to agree the terms of the split. Theresa May triggered this process on 29 March, 2017, meaning the UK is scheduled to leave at 11pm UK time on Friday, 29 March 2019.
    It doesn't look like that's going to happen though does it? Probably not on the 29th March at least. But then they say deals are always done in the final moments. Nothing would surprise me now: no deal, some deal, don't leave, don't agree but extend the process, agree to partly leave but agree to not agree things until later...

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't be betting on anything right now.