Page 88 of 268 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    It is all explained here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...tJ7jJKr1DrDhz3

Hoping the link works!
    Like all American attempts at comedy. Not funny!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't be betting on anything right now.
    I’d not be averse to a bet on May attempting to force her deal through at the last minute. “My deal or no deal” type scenario.

Should have some reasonable odds on that.

Edit: not much of a bet now I’ve read the news...
    Last edited by shaunaneto; 14-03-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    I’d not be averse to a bet on May attempting to force her deal through at the last minute. “My deal or no deal” type scenario.

Should have some reasonable odds on that.

Edit: not much of a bet now I’ve read the news...
    Yes, although I hear she's going to have a third go at it anyway !!

Interesting move by the chancellor yesterday. To paraphrase: "Teresa, stop trying to win over Tories, start trying to win over Labour".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    If you bang your head against a brick wall and it hurts, keep on banging it against the wall until it stops hurting. Simples.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

Interesting move by the chancellor yesterday. To paraphrase: "Teresa, stop trying to win over Tories, start trying to win over Labour".
    Labour are priceless on the issue.

They have no objection to the Withdrawal Agreement - the meaty legally binding bit.

They have objections to the Future Declaration trhat has no legal standing and is agreed between people who will probably not be in post later this year.
    They say that this declaration is too open, gives too much flexibility.

The point is though, it does leave the door open for what Labour's current policy is (although that might change over the weekend ) and it is also not possible to add any detail according to the EU until we leave.

So it appears to me that they voted down the Withdrawal Agreement for pure political motives. Almost because it was someone else's agreement.

I'm glad they are that stupid as I think the WA is awful.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    So it appears to me that they voted down the Withdrawal Agreement for pure political motives. Almost because it was someone else's agreement.
    I agree. Normally this amount of turmoil within a ruling party would mean the opposition would be 15 points ahead in the polls. Whereas actually they're 10 points behind. Not many people singing "Oh Jeremy Corbin" now. Maybe they need to change the emphasis to one of disappointment.

TBH I'm disappointed by both main parties at the moment (more so than usual). What's a suitable analogy? Cats fighting in a bag? It seems clear to me that the left of the right and right of the left could quite easily agree on the principles of a brexit deal, but they still regard each other as the enemy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    ....what Labour's current policy is ....
    What policy? Have labour ever had one? I despair of them all: voting 'never to no deal under any circumstances' is accepting a blank cheque on price. If the price doubles on the day of signing, they will still prefer the deal to no deal. I cannot imagine any of them doing that in their private lives.
    Last edited by Oracle; 14-03-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Labour don't have a policy because there is no Labour party at the moment. However, Momentum's goals are very clear - undermine and disrupt, which is why they are unlikely to support any deal or proposal. It is pure party politics that the deal offered by the EU is persistently described as Theresa May's deal; Tories so they can distance themselves from her when they stand in the next leadership contest, Momentum so they can use the vitriolic personality card to turn floating voters to vote for what they believe is Labour, but will turn out to be Momentum. All Corbyn wants is a General Election, so he can be 'IN POWER' and start Project Destroy. Genuine supporters of Labour's true values need to seize back control of their party for all our sakes. The sooner the better.
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Labour don't have a policy because there is no Labour party at the moment. However, Momentum's goals are very clear - undermine and disrupt, which is why they are unlikely to support any deal or proposal. It is pure party politics that the deal offered by the EU is persistently described as Theresa May's deal; Tories so they can distance themselves from her when they stand in the next leadership contest, Momentum so they can use the vitriolic personality card to turn floating voters to vote for what they believe is Labour, but will turn out to be Momentum. All Corbyn wants is a General Election, so he can be 'IN POWER' and start Project Destroy. Genuine supporters of Labour's true values need to seize back control of their party for all our sakes. The sooner the better.
    All true. The craxy think is how bad Tory PR office is. It should never have allowed the phrase "mays deal" - it should have kept repeating the "EU deal" or "EU bad deal" in all statements.

But I think our own brexit issues may all become academic. I predict the day after the euro elections the money markets will be spooked, italian bond yields will spike , banks will start to collapse because of the stupidest EU rule of all on collateral, a run on the banks will commence in earnest, capital controls will start, Bail ins will steal savings from all and we will see financial market disruption worse than 2008, and considering how little real collateral the dominoes will start to fall. UK banks are certainly not insulated from it. There are anti euro noises in other states like spain and civil unrest will spread. It is already gathering pace in france. Even the US is straining. Recent bond issues have had lower subscription than ever before.
    I am aware of quite a few high net worth currently moving money to switzerland. There is already a money flood out of italy. It is not going to be pretty.The cost of insuring banks is already spiking. But just like 2007, the public will be unaware of it till the day it happens.

It is somewhat farcical that the day we brexit (if ever we do) all our banks will need to increase collateral, becuase they will no longer be allowed to use the stupid EU and Eurozone (legally prescribed) assumption that all EU country gilts are safe. Which is why all banks hold them. Ask how that one worked out in greece!
    Last edited by Oracle; 14-03-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Banned
    Just leave as the majority voted.