Page 92 of 268 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Migration is proof of the systemic failure caused by inability to adjust either interest or exchange rate. The first to leave is not unskilled labour but all the young professionals who are welcome everywhere and who can earn several times more if they do. But by hollowing out the destitute countries, they condemn the countries to worse destitution. Because the overhead of ageing population are not and cannot move anywhere, and they have to be fed by ever fewer youngsters remaining. The demographic bomb gets worse. (That bomb is already devastating Japan,and will cause us serious problems in time)
    I think you are concatenating two issues here, as is clear from you referring to "destitute countries" and then using Japan as a prime example!

The flight of skilled professionals from poorer countries to places where they can have a more comfortable life is not just a European problem. There has been a lot of concern recently about many African countries losing such people.

The demographic time bomb in places like Japan is mainly due to the low birth rate, because people who are economically secure don't need to have large families, and maybe also because of the long-hours working culture that leaves people too knackered to reproduce. The latter definitely seems to be the problem in Singapore, which has a very low birth rate; but there the Government is actively encouraging immigration, of all types: skilled professionals, who get to live a very comfortable expatriate lifestyle, and unskilled workers from many other Asian countries, who get poverty wages by Singapore standards but probably more than they would be getting in their home countries. The Singapore population has increased from 3.4m to 5.5m in the last 25 years, despite a fertility rate of 1.2; I'm not sure that people in this country would be happy about immigration on that scale!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post

I kind of live by the generalisation that 5% of any major grouping are twats; so 5% of Yorkshiremen are twats, 5% of English, 5% of Americans, 5% of Christians, Jews, Muslims etc etc are twats. And 5% (at least) of referendum voters are/were twats clearly and there should’ve been a 5% twat factor built in to the result. It doesn’t work for small groupings - 100% of twats are twats obviously and 100% of UKIP voters are twats - but as a general rule it works and does rationalise a lot of the bad things that happen or are caused to happen in the world.

For instance there was a big hoohah in Horton in Ribblesdale where I live about the disruption caused by three peaks walkers to the locals but in reality nothing like 5% of the locals were really bothered by it and nothing like 5% of the walkers were causing it - a very comfortable 95% of everybody else were fine with things but.... the 5% (more like 2%) was able to get all this reported and blown out of proportion on the BBC where they quoted that three peaks walkers were ‘making lives miserable’.
    Ha ha that really made me laugh Stolly! At least Brexit has animated the forum into life.

Banned
    I simply pointed out rightly that migration of working age people in EU caused by the euro, can cause the same demographic timebomb effect that Japan has had for other reasons, when too many young people leave. It is one of the reasons the destitute countries are trapped. For example Poland has made several statements on it over the years,

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I think you are concatenating two issues here, as is clear from you referring to "destitute countries" and then using Japan as a prime example!

The flight of skilled professionals from poorer countries to places where they can have a more comfortable life is not just a European problem. There has been a lot of concern recently about many African countries losing such people.

The demographic time bomb in places like Japan is mainly due to the low birth rate, because people who are economically secure don't need to have large families, and maybe also because of the long-hours working culture that leaves people too knackered to reproduce. The latter definitely seems to be the problem in Singapore, which has a very low birth rate; but there the Government is actively encouraging immigration, of all types: skilled professionals, who get to live a very comfortable expatriate lifestyle, and unskilled workers from many other Asian countries, who get poverty wages by Singapore standards but probably more than they would be getting in their home countries. The Singapore population has increased from 3.4m to 5.5m in the last 25 years, despite a fertility rate of 1.2; I'm not sure that people in this country would be happy about immigration on that scale!

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    CL presumably you had the very long term forum posting opportunities in mind when you were Stolly-stalking me two or three years ago? So that maybe you could be armed with vague facts to misquote me on years later, as and when a topic about something or other that we disagree on came up?? ��

I kind of live by the generalisation that 5% of any major grouping are twats; so 5% of Yorkshiremen are twats, 5% of English, 5% of Americans, 5% of Christians, Jews, Muslims etc etc are twats. And 5% (at least) of referendum voters are/were twats clearly and there should’ve been a 5% twat factor built in to the result. It doesn’t work for small groupings - 100% of twats are twats obviously and 100% of UKIP voters are twats - but as a general rule it works and does rationalise a lot of the bad things that happen or are caused to happen in the world.

For instance there was a big hoohah in Horton in Ribblesdale where I live about the disruption caused by three peaks walkers to the locals but in reality nothing like 5% of the locals were really bothered by it and nothing like 5% of the walkers were causing it - a very comfortable 95% of everybody else were fine with things but.... the 5% (more like 2%) was able to get all this reported and blown out of proportion on the BBC where they quoted that three peaks walkers were ‘making lives miserable’.

A bit of a long winded way of saying that you are clearly a member of the 5% twat fraternity within the Fell running forum ��
    So let's do a Jon Snow and look at how this would play out on the results.

17410742 would reduce to 16540205 when the twats votes are voided off.

Funnily enough that still beats 16141241 before we even consider that 5% of Europhile twats.

Moving on, there could be the basis for a new Simon Cowell Saturday night slot here. Twat Factor, with judges/mentors Nigel Farage, Andrew Adonis and Anna Soubry where prospective super-twats come on to gain a place in the grand final and be mentored by the experts.
    I'd watch it, but I fear like the London Olympics, it might end up being a Yorkshire walkover
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I simply pointed out rightly that migration of working age people in EU caused by the euro
    Rubbish, Ireland has been exporting its population since the famine of the mid 1840s, I may be wrong but I don't think the Euro is that old.
    In fact Ireland is the exact opposite of your argument. Over the years since joining the EEC/EU/Euro, Ireland's economy has massivly modernized, with the result that Ireland is a large net importer of people, much more so than the UK per head of population.

I simply pointed out rightly that migration of working age people in EU caused by the euro, ...
    But is it really caused by the euro? People moving for resources or work is as old as the hills. We've seen (and continue to see this) within the UK, where we have one currency. And we've seen it across borders, such as Ireland to the UK.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    But is it really caused by the euro? People moving for resources or work is as old as the hills. We've seen (and continue to see this) within the UK, where we have one currency. And we've seen it across borders, such as Ireland to the UK.
    Yes it really really is. The southern economies are trapped, in a low wage, high tax, high unemployment world that is impossible to escape within the rules of the Euro. For an introduction. to why look at such as Werner sim, eurotrap. Or just study why all other previous unions even in Europe failed. And if you vote EU , you vote to poropagate misery.

You seem convinced. I will research this some more and get back to you, Oracle.

On the subject of all the previous unions in Europe failing, I'd like to point out one union that has stood reasonably strongly for over 300 years. Or are you not considering Scotland and England part of Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    You seem convinced. I will research this some more and get back to you, Oracle.

On the subject of all the previous unions in Europe failing, I'd like to point out one union that has stood reasonably strongly for over 300 years. Or are you not considering Scotland and England part of Europe?
    There is more to it than just the Euro. The Euro inevitably plays a part, but there are countries not in the Euro who have played a huge part in the migration across Europe.

You really have to look at push and pull factors.

The Euro has created an environment that has enhanced the pull factors for example in Germany and the push factors in Italy but those factors are just the same in non-Euro countries.

Those push and pull factors elsewhere are managed by systems such as the ones operated by Australia.

They are seen within the UK, even within regions of the UK.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

Those push and pull factors elsewhere are managed by systems such as the ones operated by Australia
    Australia as an example of what? Good practice? Their annual and decreasing immigration thresholds are widely detested by businesses in Australia and are seen as shooting their economy in the foot and, as for their policy for dealing with asylum seekers, it’s particularly cruel: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...e_iOSApp_Other