Thread: Peak fell club required

Peak fell club required

Evening everyone, I've finally plucked up the courage and am taking the plunge. I've joined the FRA and now I'd like to join a friendly club that'll accept a slow, enthusiastic 42 year old with an unrivalled love for hills that you can only get from growing up in Lincolnshire!

Any suggestions or advice please

Quote Originally Posted by LincsFellRunner View Post
    Evening everyone, I've finally plucked up the courage and am taking the plunge. I've joined the FRA and now I'd like to join a friendly club that'll accept a slow, enthusiastic 42 year old with an unrivalled love for hills that you can only get from growing up in Lincolnshire!

Any suggestions or advice please
    Are you still living in Lincolnshire? I'd suggest a local(ish) club, then your local races will have clubmates at them. Most fell clubs are pretty friendly. There's a list on here: http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/links.php

Or you could do what Mrs noel and I did - go to fell races, and see which clubs have people there and who seems nice and friendly. That approach led us both to join Pennine, and we're still liking it.

If you're planning to go to club training nights, most clubs will let you turn up to a few before asking you to join, so you could go and sample a few clubs first.

Good luck

I'd also vouch for joining a local club, even if they're not necessarily fell-orientated.

I live a similarly long distance from the fells and decided that I was going t join a Fell based club. I went for Dark Peak (I am situated roughly mid way beteeen Mercia and Dark Peak home territory). It was generally a good decision, I had people to talk to and gain advice from at races, and I still have friends in DP that I see all over the place.

However this year I transferred to a local club so I can train with them regularly and it has gone very well. The only issue I have is that at Fell races I am a 'lone ranger' in terms of team. But I think the regular training, entry to cross-country and various other club races, and the real feeling of being part of a team, more than compensate. My running has also improved markedly thanks to the regular structured training.

So there's benefits to both options.

You can join a Fell Club so you can be part of a team at Fell Races, as well as a local 'normal' club for training.
    Join the 'Fell Only' club (as registered by UKA) first claim, then join a local club second claim fell, first claim road/XC/track. Worth checking with FRA membership sec (Charmian) as whilst the FRA aren't too fussed about all this palaver, BA are!

(e.g. I am first claim Hallamshire Harriers who are registered for Road, XC, Track. I am 2nd claim Pennine, registered for Fell only).

A lot of clubs register for fell despite not really doing can (and has) thrown a spanner in the works for some people this year. If you're straight up front it should be OK. The likes of Dark Peak, Pennine, Calder Valley, Borrowdale, Mercia(?) are registered as fell only.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Yeah I'm still in Lincolnshire until the family can relocate...

I am a member of a local running club and train with those where possible but I want this so I can access local experience, advice and banter as being a soft flatlander I'll need a bit of support initially. Also to feel part of a group of people who enjoy the fells too. Most people around here are road based and there isn't much of a xc scene even.

Have spent a lot of time in the south Peaks and am in love with the area.

Looking to expand my horizons.

When you say you want to join a Peaks Club do you mean the dark of white peak? Or are you talking of a totally different area? It's not quite clear from you original post or the one above. The Peaks to most means the Peak District. :-)

If you're after a peaks club with deep experience and presence at races (both in Peak and further afield) you're probably looking at Dark Peak (Sheffield) or Pennine (Hayfield, on the Manchester side).
    There are other Peaks clubs that race on the fells (Totley, Buxton), both athletics clubs with a bit of fell ethos (i.e. would give good coverage/knowledge of Peak scene, but maybe less further afield).

All are welcoming to newcomers and will offer advice/support, but are also nicely competitive both within and without the club. I think they are all geared up towards both general enjoyment with competitiveness when you want it!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Yeah the White Peak would be preferential as that's the area I know and can access easier. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsFellRunner View Post
    Yeah the White Peak would be preferential as that's the area I know and can access easier. Thank you all.
    Buxton AC is a super friendly Club. We are getting out into the further fells a lot more now too. Actively encouraging members next year to enter the English Fell Champs. We are in both the North Staff League XC and the Manchester League XC. Bit of an all round Club and this year was our 40th Anniversary (our Chairman is also the Founder of the Club 40 years ago). This year we have won countless awards accumulating with the final award of EA National Club of 2017. Everyone in the Club gets involved. We also have a brilliant Junior Section (they won Silver at the Fell Champs this year) Hope I have convinced you. You would be very very welcome. This is our FB group if you would like to have a look https://www.facebook.com/groups/buxtonadac/ and this is our Website http://www.buxtonac.org.uk/ Come along and try us out as we have all abilities :-)

Thank you for the invitation :-)