Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Trail Snowdonia

Not likely able to make the event this year due to work but defo on the radar.

It is one hell of a brute and I think it will have a high DNF rate especially for the 100. It should be interesting to watch though

Update from moi.... I got me some time off work so off to have a pop at the 50... now I just have the small issue if the fellsman 2 weeks before and some hardcore recovery afterwards

It’s gonna be a slog but a fun one

Yes it's looming large on the horizon. 5 weeks now. Looking forward to it, and the challenge of running my own race and taking on some good runners. Give or take a few miles and few thousand feet, it's approx 1.5 Bob Graham's. So that gives me an idea on what sort of times to aim for (although whether I get that far is a massive question).

Well this has come round fast...!

Not sure if any other forumites are on this, with the exception of Willowisp above....?

Certainly some recognisable names on the 50 mile race, but i don't recognise anybody (except for myself!) on the 100

The off for us is 5pm tomorrow, and i think the 50 sets off at 5am Saturday.

Have no idea how it's going to go... it's a fact that i'm now running better than I've ever done before, but this really has no bearing on such a long race, other than confidence. I feel in a funny position where i'm ambituous and would like to finish well (and i have a target in mind), but at the same time, i'll be happy to just finish my first attempt at the distance.

I do think that if i do finish, then that will be enough to give me a top half finish, as i would imagine the drop out rate will be fairly high. Although knowing nothing of the other runners, i may be doing them a dis-service.... certainly a fair few of them from mainland Europe, and sponsored by big sportswear companies, so they're obviously not just coming over for a gentle trot round!

Ooh, fancy! I've only just come across this race, looks a cracker - some tough terrain as well as a massive amount of up and down .. enjoy DNF rate will be interesting to see.

Have a fab race, hope you get some decent weather for it

Dis the 50 course yesterday. Was tremendous and without question a tough event. We had pretty much perfect weather - there is the potential for carnage in the event of mediocre conditions. The 100 started in incesant rain for the first 4 hours before nightfall - can't have been huge fun. I'd estimate there were approx 50 starters on the 100 and only about 10 finishers. The RO is already going about taking some of the edges off the course with a redesign for next year.
    Was pleased with my race and visited a couple of new tops in Snowdonia

Quote Originally Posted by APEXRUNNING.CO View Post
    Hello all!
    It's basically the event I always wished for in the UK and with that amount of climbing is not to be taken lightly. I'm always open to feedback so if you've got any questions please feel free to email me directly: [email protected]

Hope some of you can make it!

Mike
    The event you always wished for? I hope it fulfilled your wishes. I did the 50 and I honestly don't think it could have been done any better.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Says the course is fully marked so for me the lack of the need to navigate would take away a lot of the fun.
    Some issues never go away - such as the navigation v marked course issue. In reality they are not comparable. A marked course means that everyone is tested against exactly the same course. It becomes a physical test - a pure race.
    A fell race requiring navigation tests a different set of skills - though I don't think I have actually ever seen anyone navigating in a fell race.
    A mountain marathon tests a different set of skills again.
    Some formats definitely test a wider range of skills, though I'm not sue this makes them betteror more or less fun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Some issues never go away - such as the navigation v marked course issue. In reality they are not comparable. A marked course means that everyone is tested against exactly the same course. It becomes a physical test - a pure race.
    A fell race requiring navigation tests a different set of skills - though I don't think I have actually ever seen anyone navigating in a fell race.
    A mountain marathon tests a different set of skills again.
    Some formats definitely test a wider range of skills, though I'm not sue this makes them betteror more or less fun.
    Yep I know what you are saying as I have done both marked and unmarked courses, however I have always found unmarked courses preferable to marked not least of all because I know where I am at any given point and that I am not following markers that may have been tampered with and I do like the fact that an unmarked course can even out the field, in as much as a marginally slower runner that can navigate better than faster one may just be able to take a better line and put themself on a par with the faster one thus giving the faster runner the satisfaction of having to push themselves harder which in turn makes for a keener race.

Every Event I have ever done (and I have done several )has always been done on sight, as I find that the hours spent poring over maps and then putting my understanding of the route into practice on the day makes for a complete experience for me at least.

As to unmarked v marked making for a pure race, that has not been my experience as I have in the past beaten folk on marked courses that have beaten me in the past on both marked and unmarked courses and of course vice versa.

Of course as you will appreciate in an ultra race it is not just about a physical race, there is also a very big mental race that has to be played out by each competitor in order to get through the lows, not to mention the the ability to overcome sleep deprivation if the event is long enough to take you into a second day,

TBH it is all pretty much what floats your boat a and I am glad that UTS went well and was enjoyed by you and others.
    Last edited by JohnK; 14-05-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    No report back from Travs yet. I hope he isn't still out there.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges