Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Zipwire Across Thirlmere?

"or a US-style paved road up Scafell Pike"

If someone would clear all the boulders to the side of the path, that would be a start.
    What amazes me is that there is a general agreement that the Lakes mountains need massive bags of stones helicoptered on to them. As a runner/walker, I think there are plenty of large stones all over the place already. Rebuilding a path next to a scree slope seems sensible, but isn't it all a bit "coal to Newcastle".

This not being able to post in Firefox is pissing me off.
    "You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again."[/QUOTE]

Dr,I’ve found that if you click “Go Advanced” and scroll down and click “Submit Reply” it works. That is how you are able to read this!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 09-11-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Not sure if you are taking the piss or not, but for some people it does smack of "this is our playground and you can't play".

This not being able to post in Firefox is pissing me off.
    "You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again."
    Dr this posted using firefox

As far as I am concerned Honister quarry has been there in one form or another since the 17th century and is not very pleasing to the eye. The addition of a zip wire is not going to improve it at all and by the same token it will not make it a lot worse.

So if the lakes have to have a Zip wire at all this is the best place for it, we just have to hope that it is not a first of many as places such as Thirlmere are just to precious to be screwed up with with wire/concrete steel stanchions etc etc.

By the way I will not be using the Zipwire, but enjoy the buzz those that do
    The older I get the Faster I was

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I have to agree. As a working Quarry and with the via feratta already ongoing, I can't think of anywhere else that it would be suitable. My only concern is if this then sets a precedent for future zip wires on open fell side. At least the Go Ape in Whinlatter and Grizedale are in the forest which reduces their impact.

Absolutely agree. I'm not quite old enough to remember the original "Aerial Flight" which was a zip wire used to bring stone down from the quarries to the hause but the bases of the pylons are still there. My Grandfather who worked up there as a quarryman told me that riding on the Aerial Flight was banned by the management but that didn't stop the men from riding up to work on it!
    Mike Hind
    Borrowdale Fell runners

All this stuff about one thing leads to another isn't this a bit like arguing that the first glass of sherry leads inevitably to swigging meths out of the bottle under a canal bridge?
    Mike Hind
    Borrowdale Fell runners

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Dr,I’ve found that if you click “Go Advanced” and scroll down and click “Submit Reply” it works. That is how you are able to read this!
    Brilliant, that worked, thanks.