Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Zipwire Across Thirlmere?

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    hoooooooooooorrraaaaaaaaaaaaay Common-sense prevails!
    Yep

fanflippintastic

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Zip wires get go ahead at Honister.
    https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...re-at-honister

Banned
    Good.
    It's a positive and everyone should have a reason to visit the lakes not just walkers and runners.

I'm surprised that only 124 people objected. I would have thought with the power of social media to whip people up into a frenzy, lots of outraged people would have objected. Not that I'm against it personally - I haven't seen the plans and don't know the area well so don't feel qualified to comment.

It did make me wonder whether the stated use of the zip-wire to also remove slate from the quarries was a very minor thing, and just added to sway public opinion. Perhaps I'm cynical.

Master
    I think they slipped the application in quietly while everyone was thinking about Thirlmere.
    The most worrying thing to me is that they ignored the recommendation of their planning officer which was to reject. Given some of the other proposals that are in the offing this doesn't bode well.

Master
    "everyone should have a reason to visit the lakes not just walkers and runners"
    that argument could equally be used to support a via ferrata up Broad Stand, or a US-style paved road up Scafell Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador
    "everyone should have a reason to visit the lakes not just walkers and runners"
    that argument could equally be used to support a via ferrata up Broad Stand, or a US-style paved road up Scafell Pike...
    ...or a 4x4 race track over Garburn Pass. Or pretty much anywhere actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Good.
    It's a positive and everyone should have a reason to visit the lakes not just walkers and runners.
    Not sure if you are taking the piss or not, but for some people it does smack of "this is our playground and you can't play".

This not being able to post in Firefox is pissing me off.
    "You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again."

Lake District access for the PlayStation generation People who think that exercise or for that matter anything out of doors needs to be organised by somebody else, that’s why Gyms, Tough Mudders etc etc make a pile of cash,my issue with the whole zip wire debate is that it brings nothing to the Lake District but more cars to already over choked roads, more litter and more folk who don’t give a toss and I’m with you GeoffB 4 x 4s roaming wherever they feel like roaming boils my p*ss