Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoty

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Until last year, I have never missed a Spoty since early 80s. I hadn't enjoyed the last few. I'll be giving it another swerve this year. The overall presentation seems lacking and the nominees seem more about ticking boxes at times.
    Fully agree Tao should be nominated. To step up from support rider to winning when GT dropped out was an incredible achievement.
    Same here. It was one of the highlights of my TV year.

I think the plot was lost when they introduced nominees, for PC reasons, and it has gone downhill ever since.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

It would seem you only have to drive the fastest car, be a fairly good driver and then you not only win SPOTY but get knighted as well.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    It would seem you only have to drive the fastest car, be a fairly good driver and then you not only win SPOTY but get knighted as well.
    I dont get ẁhat makes a rich car driver more worthy than these unassuming hero`s :-

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...w-year-honours
    The older I get the Faster I was

Boy racer is knighted 🏎️.
    I bit unfair as some before him have as well. Just feel like saying it because I don't get the whole motor racing thing in the slightest.
    But each to their own.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I dont get ẁhat makes a rich car driver more worthy than these unassuming hero`s :-

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...w-year-honours
    Too true, and personally I'd grant Knighthoods to all these guys:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...droidApp_Other

Although, when being called or directed they might occasionally confuse 'sir' with 'sit' which could prove unfortunate !!
    Am Yisrael Chai

I get what you're saying moley. But look at it in the abstract. It's about the pursuit of excellence and refining ability to the ultimate degree. So no different to any other sporting endeavours in that regard. If you add to that his outspoken support for a human rights issue that th

...threatened to undermine all he has worked for in his rise from the ordinary to the extraordinary, then it would be churlish to question the conferment of a knighthood. Whatever that means!

His human rights position is very hypocritical. More than happy to race his car in places like Bahrain. His tax exile status doesn't help him win over the British public either.

Whilst on the knighthood front, a glaring omission is that Nigel Farage has not received one!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I think he adequately addressed the position of F1 going to places like Bahrain. It's not his choice after all. But the position is it's better to use something like F1 to shine a light on these places rather than let them continue their questionable practices away from international scrutiny.

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;670765]His human rights position is very hypocritical./QUOTE]

It's a bit mean to accuse him of hypocrisy.

After all didn't he go to a great deal of trouble to go out on his speed boat on a beautiful day to pose with his dog and arrange to be filmed for us all to see so we could hear his pontifications to the world about saving the oceans (if not all humanity)?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 01-01-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".