Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mud . . .

Thanks Pete.

Yes I am quite familiar with the area. A fantastic poor-weather run is Mosedale back to Keswick via Skiddaw House. Remote and lonely, but on a clear path all the way, and really feels wild.

Got a tough LDMT style runout planned for Saturday to complete the Northern Wainwrights.... Mungrisdale-Souther Fell-Mungrisdale Common-Bannerdale Crags-Bowscale Fell-Carrock Pike-High Pike-then a long leg to Bakestall- back to Keswick over Skiddaw, perhaps doing the Carlside descent for a change.

Can't wait.

Also the Old Crown Round is back next year, being put on by a Fell club, I think same weekend as Wasdale. After missing the OCR last year through injury, I'm determined to give it a go in 2019, it just looks a fantastic route for a race.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Thanks Pete.

Yes I am quite familiar with the area. A fantastic poor-weather run is Mosedale back to Keswick via Skiddaw House. Remote and lonely, but on a clear path all the way, and really feels wild.

Got a tough LDMT style runout planned for Saturday to complete the Northern Wainwrights.... Mungrisdale-Souther Fell-Mungrisdale Common-Bannerdale Crags-Bowscale Fell-Carrock Pike-High Pike-then a long leg to Bakestall- back to Keswick over Skiddaw, perhaps doing the Carlside descent for a change.
    There certainly is some lovely running to be had. Wild and quite desolate in places. Relatively quiet though never too far from a good path.
    Sounds like a great day out and I don't recall too much in the way of mud around that area. Hope the weather is kind to you - the views around high Pike are amazing. A fair trek back to Keswick from Bakestall if going via Skiddaw. I wouldn't underestimate that one but the descent via Carlside is a good quick one and my preferred route.

We had so much rain overnight that todays run was alternate ankle deep mud and then loose rock/gravel where the mud had been washed away. Thankfully the grassier paths are still green though deteriorating fast....

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Two weeks of dry weather, and there is no mud on the footpaths. Of course, there are no nettles or brambles either. Perfect running conditions . . . so why can't I go any faster?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Had a run around one of my local trail race routes - the Stourbridge Stagger. Its always the first week in February and invariably ankle deep mud in places. Apart from the odd patch, it is still dry and perfect running conditions. Hopefully it remains that way as I will be doing the race this year as for once it doesn't clash with the Long Mynd Valleys.
    Last edited by PeteS; 08-01-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Distinct lack of mud on the XC courses at the moment. Last weekend was a new course out over some farmers fields, and it was still positively hard underfoot.

Usually improves a bit after xmas though, in time for the annual mudbath that is the Nationals.

PeteS. Hope the Stagger course stays nice and dry and fast. I'm doing it this year. Did it a couple of years ago and it was proper muddy tough going.

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    PeteS. Hope the Stagger course stays nice and dry and fast. I'm doing it this year. Did it a couple of years ago and it was proper muddy tough going.
    This can be an absolute killer for mud but (hopefully not tempting fate) it is still in perfect condition at the moment. I'm helping out with my work running group and managed to coax 3 of them into doing it this year. Only one of them has done any trail runs before so we had a bit of a recce on Sunday.
    Absolutely bone dry everwhere except "the" muddy gully which is still not that bad - perhaps only 10m or so of real mud. That has been known to be shin deep and swallow shoes before now! Not hoping for any great time as I'm there mainly in a support role this year but always enjoy this race. Have a good one!
    Last edited by PeteS; 15-01-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Cheers Pete. And you. Ah, I remember the gully. My x-talons were not enough! I'll be there, running for my road/xc/trail club, Wolves, with a few teammates.

Stourbridge Stagger Recce number 2 with my fledgling trail running group this morning. A week of light rain and the odd heavy shower coupled with a torrential downpour last night mean we are back to full on mud today. Unfortunately lost one of my newbies with a twisted ankle in the first major mud section after only 2km in. The others soldiered on through the mud and gale force wind and actually seemed to relish the challenging conditions.