Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Mud . . .

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    It's back....

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    With the dry weather this Spring, there has been a blissfully long interval between the end of the mud season and the start of the nettle/bramble season. But a week ago I came back from a run with bramble scratches, and today's rain has knocked over some of the nettles so that they are leaning across the paths. Time to go for some walks equipped with secateurs and gardening gloves.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Mud (for the first time on a long time) and nettles were plentiful on the morning's run around the Worcestershire footpaths with Mrs S. My legs are still smarting from the stings now.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Maybe we need a separate thread for nettles (and one for brambles too, now I think of it). There's a lovely path between two properties near me that is normally very easily navigated. On today's run the nettles were leaning in dangerously and it became a series of leaps, shimmies and expletives. A sickle might come in handy - not that I own one...

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Maybe we need a separate thread for nettles (and one for brambles too, now I think of it). There's a lovely path between two properties near me that is normally very easily navigated. On today's run the nettles were leaning in dangerously and it became a series of leaps, shimmies and expletives. A sickle might come in handy - not that I own one...
    ah but we already have one on nettles:
    https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...hlight=nettles

I find a sickle is a very useful bit of kit this time of year though you can probably be arrested for brandishing one on a public footpath these days (mores the pity!)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    ah but we already have one on nettles:
    https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...hlight=nettles

I find a sickle is a very useful bit of kit this time of year though you can probably be arrested for brandishing one on a public footpath these days (mores the pity!)
    Lol. I should have checked. What a mine of information this forum is.

Mrs noel wants a scythe!! That would definitely be a menace on narrow footpaths.

Ankle deep again in places but now has a frozen crust unfortunately not thick enough to support my weight.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    My problem too yesterday. As part of the run was on road I opted for Salomon speedcross which were next to useless in the mud.
    Interesting this, I find them excellent in any mud/ice/bog, but pretty poor in dry conditions and on tarmac. Hoping they'll get me through Rombalds this weekend though they're now on the verge of falling apart after about 300 miles, which isn't ideal.

Worcestershire mud is pretty special!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I don't recall a year where it has been so late but it has certainly made up for it the last couple of weeks.
    3 weeks ago it was slippy but firm.Last week it was wet.and starting to breakdown, this morning was full on biblical stuff,. Ankle deep in places
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast