Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mud . . .

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Gave my Walshes their first outing of the 2020/21 mud season today. Beacon Hill, via Buck Hill and Felicity's Wood. I had been over part of the route on a walk last Sunday, and we have had more rain since then, so I knew what to expect.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Thank you Anthony for bumping this thread. I tried to find it at the weekend but failed.
    This Sundays run wax the first of the season where we had proper full on mud. A miserable wet Saturday followed by torrential downpours early Sunday saw the bridalways around Hagley and Churchill returned to their winter norm. Sadly no Stourbridge Stagger this year - already postponed - but it is a great route for training and one I will do frequently over the coming weeks despite the mud.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I'm hoping to run the Coventry Way footpath next weekend... it's usually very muddy on certain sections when the challenge/race is held (April).... i expect certain parts of it will be positively foul next week...

More muddy mahem around the Stourbridge Stagger route this morning. Very cold and wet and hard going through ankle deep slop at times. Mrs S could take no more after 12 km so we bailed and went round the road missing out a big chunk of it. Looking like it is now set to last for a while.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Frozen solid last week. Ankle breaking stuff. Back to wet gloop again this morning as the snow thaw set in.

Master
    Not sure if wellies or flippers would have been the more appropriate footwear for today's trog up to Buck Hill and the Outwoods. Anyway, I wore Walshes, which at least meant that I wasn't sliding around.

Imagine if the Trigger race was going ahead after the recent rain, even in the sort of benign weather that I had today (temperature must have been at least 10C, it hasn't been as warm as that for quite a while).
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Not sure if wellies or flippers would have been the more appropriate footwear for today's trog up to Buck Hill and the Outwoods. Anyway, I wore Walshes, which at least meant that I wasn't sliding around.

Imagine if the Trigger race was going ahead after the recent rain, even in the sort of benign weather that I had today (temperature must have been at least 10C, it hasn't been as warm as that for quite a while).

The first year i did the Trigger it was more or less frozen over. The following year it was much milder (still bloody cold, but it's all relative!)

The second year, despite being a year fitter, i was nearly half an hour slower... every step sinking into either soft mud or rapidly thawing snow.

Incidentally the Trigger has been provisionally rearranged for mid-July which should make it marginally more pleasant... although means i'll probably have to give up my entry as i'll (hopefully) be racing elsewhere...

I once, years ago, did the Wadsworth half trog, which normally is a complete bog-fest. That year was frozen solid - we were running on sheets of muddy ice with heather sticking out of it. Although I was nowhere near the top ten, if I'd've got the same time the year before I would have been third!

Master
    In the 30+ years that I have been running along my local footpaths, I never remember them being in the state they are in now. Is this because there are more feet tramping along them due to the lockdown, or because of unusually wet weather this Autumn and Winter? Probably a combination of the two factors.

Before today, I had managed to avoid falling over in the mud this Winter. But today I hit my foot against a tree root less than 200 metres from home (on the way back), and came down. Fortunately not a face-plant, just a hands-and-knees-plant.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I went to the town park this morning to scope out some potential rep measurements for tomorrow... not only was there standing water everywhere, but the grass to either side of the paths was lethally muddy and slippery for road shoes.

So it'll be out on the roads for tomorrow's session instead.