Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another southern newbie

Haterall Hammer (17th Feb) is a straightforward up and down from a pub. No real nav needed.
    Tor y Foel (18th March) might also suit. Both give a good idea of what "short" races are like and are in the Black Mountains/Brecon Beacons, close to campsites/pubs/B&Bs so easy to make a weekend of.

The winter races in Shropshire are challenging, but the summer series races are much more beginner-friendly.
    Last edited by Dave_Mole; 21-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

It might help us a bit if you can give indication of your current running distances/times etc...oh and age if you want!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Well admitted Ole...I was going to pull your leg about Reading location, but Anthony beat me to it!
    You'd be made more than welcome at any of the South Wales races, nearly all of which are suitable for a beginner. You have also had some good suggestions for more local events but no one has mentioned the Chilterns yet. There are some good races there or just good training...I cut my teeth in those hills.
    Anyway, hope to see you at a South Wales event soon. Top tip, at peak times use the old severn bridge...queues for the toll MUCH shorter!
    Eyeh?? Which events in the Chilterns? I've not come across any in the FRA calendar and I look quite hard since I live near Aylesbury. I'd be delighted to find some, though won't be around much longer.

Nope, not in FRA. These are trail races so check there. The Chiltern Challenge was last month. 5 x 10 mile laps. Now that aint funny! I used to string together a 6 miler for my lunch time run when I was RAF Halton and, believe me, some of those climbs and drops are real lung and leg busters!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

A couple of off-road and undulating races in Buckinghamshire I can recommend if not previously tried..........

https://www.bearbrookrunningclub.co....dwick-x-stream
    http://www.tringrunningclub.org.uk/ridgewayrun/
    Totley AC

Quote Originally Posted by MarkClayton View Post
    A couple of off-road and undulating races in Buckinghamshire I can recommend if not previously tried..........

https://www.bearbrookrunningclub.co....dwick-x-stream
    http://www.tringrunningclub.org.uk/ridgewayrun/
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'd forgotten about the Ridgeway run. Unfortunately I don't really do Sundays. Hardwick must be as flat a pancake!

Quote Originally Posted by Latege View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'd forgotten about the Ridgeway run. Unfortunately I don't really do Sundays. Hardwick must be as flat a pancake!
    Actually, think I was getting Hardwick one confused with Coombe Hill 6k race.... short but with a brutal climb. Not sure if Aylesbury AC still put it on though.
    Totley AC

Unfortunately the Coombe Hill race hasn't been on for the past couple of years, since the RO decided to call it a day. Shame, as it was great little race!
    As far as other Chilterns off-road races with hills are concerned, Watlington Hill-bashers do a very low key trail 10k both summer and winter, which is probably the closest thing to a fell-race in the Chilterns, both in terms of climbs and ethos. There are also a fair few other trail races that have plenty of climbing, but certainly no navigation element, such as the Ridge Off-roader, Run the Rock, AShardeloes 10k, and Rugged Radnage. Funnily enough these are all 10k and most are fund-raisers for schools, but still tough little races of their ilk.

As far as navigation is concerned, weekends away oop north or to Wales, ideally with more experienced mates, is one way or how about doing one of the FRA navigation weekends?

Thanks again everyone, definitely a lot of food for thought here. I'm definitely going to look up some of those trail races a bit closer to home and the FRA navigation courses look like they might be a winner too (sadly my Army Cadets map & compass skills of 20 years ago just aren't going to cut it!).

Now just need to work on the hill fitness so I can actually survive long enough to get lost!
    Thanks all, look forward to seeing some of you out there!

Check out the Wendover Woods 50 mile challenge route. This is what I mistakenly called the Chiltern Challenge wihich is a 50km single lap.
    The Wendover Woods course will certainly give you good hill fitness. Or you could just do reps of Coombe Hill. That is as steep as any fell!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth