Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another southern newbie

Ole, I used to live in London and since moved back home just round the corner from you. Tadley! I do a weekly run every Saturday from Whitehill to Beacon Hill and back, you can do Beacon Hill twice if feeling strong.

Check out the Vigo Race on Valentines weekend...This is a trail race with some big hills (I'm told)

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/vigo-...ts-39250464195

Excalibur marathon is good in May (Wales)

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by rileforce View Post
    I do a weekly run every Saturday from Whitehill to Beacon Hill and back, you can do Beacon Hill twice if feeling strong.
    Just looked this up on the OS map: your Beacon Hill is 13 metres higher than my Beacon Hill. But at least mine is made of good, solid volcanic rock, not chalk like yours.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Ole i live in devon and have found some pretty demanding races through pure trail, Mud Crew and white star running to name a few. not sure how far you like to run but i have entered a 36 miler on the north Devon coastal path it has a 2500m elevation gain!
    exe to axe and the grizzly are also pretty demanding races both about 1000m of climbing. I did a race on dartmoor called Dartmoor 3 in 1 which was a pretty grueling 22 miles over 3 races and about 1200m of climbing. theses arent exactly classed as 'fell' runs but i have run a few fells in cumbria and they are certainly up there when it comes to effort.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Just looked this up on the OS map: your Beacon Hill is 13 metres higher than my Beacon Hill. But at least mine is made of good, solid volcanic rock, not chalk like yours.
    My beacon hill is 1 meter higher than yours lol luckily i live under it so run up it a few times a week

How on earth did you know it was made of Chalk? OS or Wikipedia? It's quite a good hill, it can get slippy at certain times of the year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rileforce View Post
    How on earth did you know it was made of Chalk? OS or Wikipedia? It's quite a good hill, it can get slippy at certain times of the year.
    I've got a reasonable broad-brush knowledge of the geology of England. In particular, I know which of the hills in South-east and South-central England are chalk and which are greensand. Greensand is lovely to run on: well drained, soft ground. Chalk is horrible: hard when dry, slippery when wet. Bilberries grow on the greensand; huge nettles and other thorny stuff grow on the chalk.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisatkin View Post
    My beacon hill is 1 meter higher than yours lol luckily i live under it so run up it a few times a week

I'm confused (or maybe you are?). My Beacon Hill is 248m high. A search on streetmap.co.uk brings up numerous Beacon Hills; the highest is near Upottery at 257m, then there is one above Sidmouth at 231m.
    Jorge Luis Borges

My Beacon Hill (Warnford, Hampshire) is only 201m.

The highest I could find on Streetmap is in mid Wales, at an impressive 547 m.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post

The highest I could find on Streetmap is in mid Wales, at an impressive 547 m.
    I meant the highest I could find in Devon (using lewisatkin's information about where he lives).
    Jorge Luis Borges

I'm confused (or maybe you are?). My Beacon Hill is 248m high. A search on streetmap.co.uk brings up numerous Beacon Hills; the highest is near Upottery at 257m, then there is one above Sidmouth at 231m.
    The one above Sidmouth is the one i live under there is a good roller coaster of hills around here.