Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windmill Fell Race

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well done Anthony.... surely a nice warm-up for saturday's Four Fans!!

I assume Charnwood are in the Leics or East Mids cross-country league? As i don't think i've come across them outside of Midlands Road Relays... I seem to recall they do pretty well at the junior age groups.
    When I was running with Charnwood, they were in the North Midlands cross-country league.

They have always had a very strong junior section (both track and cross-country), and also some very good senior women. In fact the only section that hasn't been very notable is the senior men!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Ran this year's edition of the Windmill Fell Race this evening, regaining the M60 winner's spot that I first achieved three years ago. But competition in the M60 class is definitely less intense in the rolling hills of Leicestershire than in the true fell country. There were only five M60's on the entry list today (and in my last race, the Hoby Hop, I was first M60 and was 6 seconds ahead of the second and last M60). Both the men's and women's course records were broken; I haven't seen the results yet, but I'm fairly sure I was faster than last year, but slower than in 2019.

Among the important race officials was a cattle marshall. The route went along the edge of a field, and there was someone standing with a yellow sign in from of a herd of the beasts, trying to keep them away from that side of the field. I'm not sure what was on the sign; maybe "Beef stew this way".
    Jorge Luis Borges

There's quite a thriving v60 category on the forum.

I think Llani Boy would take the honours at the moment... but who was the quickest "back in the day"....?

AnthonyKay...?
    GrahamBreeze?
    Wheeze?

all with very impressive times and results.

or perhaps JohnK or MikeT up in the Lakes?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Ran this year's edition of the Windmill Fell Race this evening, regaining the M60 winner's spot that I first achieved three years ago. But competition in the M60 class is definitely less intense in the rolling hills of Leicestershire than in the true fell country. There were only five M60's on the entry list today (and in my last race, the Hoby Hop, I was first M60 and was 6 seconds ahead of the second and last M60). Both the men's and women's course records were broken; I haven't seen the results yet, but I'm fairly sure I was faster than last year, but slower than in 2019.

Among the important race officials was a cattle marshall. The route went along the edge of a field, and there was someone standing with a yellow sign in from of a herd of the beasts, trying to keep them away from that side of the field. I'm not sure what was on the sign; maybe "Beef stew this way".
    Results are now in, and my time was 46:00, which was indeed slower than in 2019 (45:24) and faster than in 2021 (47:56). I narrowly missed both my arbitrary benchmarks for “a good run”: I missed being in the top half of the results by one place (59th out of 116), and was 6 seconds too slow to be within winner’s time + 50%. But being only 36 seconds slower than three years ago seems good, and the race certainly felt good; I even had enough energy left to put in some effort over the last few hundred metres to hold off someone who was closing in on me.
    Jorge Luis Borges