Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2018

Class of 2018

anyone planning a round this year then?

Ooooh! You having a go, Chris?
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Super Moderator
    Ace, a new ‘Class of ....’ thread. Good luck all planning a round

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Ooooh! You having a go, Chris?
    Yes but no but yes but no but ..... oh go on then, just this once mind. 5 weekends planned to refresh the memory then the big day in June probably. Count you in for sherpa duty if you're free?

Good luck knightrunner. I’m planning to recce a slightly alternative route for leg one as soon as conditions are passable. It involves coming straight off Great Calva nearly due south, past Skiddaw House to “the stake” ( as marked on os maps ). Up to Cloven stone and then swing round to join the normal route.
    I just hate the fence line decent I find it too slow and this way you don’t have to wade through the Caldew.
    If anyone fancies having a go or has any advice please let me know.
    Cheers Phil

That route was talked about in the very long thread about route choices. The advantages are that you don't have to cross the Caldew which could be in spate and that it loses less height. I think it's slightly further. I've never liked the fence line, seemed too rough by the fence along with bits of the old fence lying around and another long bog crossing either side of the Caldew.

When I was recceing for my round in the early 2000s the best line was to drop about 200m along the south ridge of Great Calva then make a bee-line for the summit of Mungrisedale Common. The heather on the flank of GC had been burnt back so it was good running, there is (or was) a small path that you picked up about halfway down the flank that took you down to the track heading down the valley. You might still have to wade the Caldew though just upstream is where an old fence line crossed the river and was strong enough to use to keep out of the water Indiana Jones style!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I've never done the arc round by Skiddaw House but I do know that recceing in early Spring needs to bear in mind the height and strength of the heather at the time you'll do your Round. There are all sorts of great running lines round that way which are then just lost in a twiggy labyrinth a few months later!

I did the detour via Skiddaw House on my recce (between xmas and new year 2016, so bear in mind time of year). Obviously it's a fast descent off Great Calva. However once I left the main path at the turning near to 'The Stake' I made a right horlicks of it, was way too low, and ended up in and out of Roughten Gill, followed by a steep and demoralising climb up Blencathra.

However I would definitely try it again, taking the better route from The Stake.

Super Moderator
    I’m told Bob’s line described above is now much more heathery than it was in the early 2000’s or 2011 when I did my round. It is less steep than the fence-line and very direct. The one time I looked the Skiddaw House route it struck me as a long way round

Long way round maybe. Faster? Less tiring? Worth a look at I think.