Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2018

Quote Originally Posted by philblack40 View Post
    Long way round maybe. Faster? Less tiring? Worth a look at I think.
    It's certainly been looked at often enough.

https://www.strava.com/segments/15429359

https://www.strava.com/segments/15460417
    When the fells call, they scream.

It's definitely faster running as there's very little stumbling through tussocks and heather, you are on the Skiddaw House track for a Km or so. There's only a short section of boggy ground to negotiate where you cut over from the Lonscale Fell side to Mungrisedale Common.

The one time I did it, I think I may have been a minute or two either way of the direct line. That was without knowing the best lines to and from the Cloven Stone.

Both those Strava segments are too far NE. You need to head down the south ridge of Great Calva for about 200 metres from the summit before making a bee-line for Mungrisedale Common. The ground just SE of the south summit is pretty rough.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Following a little confusion last night, here's some tips about registering your attempt.

If you use Chrome as your browser turn off the auto-fill forms option. It's in settings->Advanced settings-Passwords and forms. If you've filled in a form somewhere on the web before and entered your phone number then this gets put in a hidden "spam trap" field and your registration goes straight to the bin! I don't think other browsers have this problem, at least it's not been reported.

A note on spam - the registration form gets six or seven registration attempts by spam bots for every genuine registration! As such there are quite a few traps, settings and checks to handle them. No system can be perfect, some spam gets through and sometimes genuine registrations get binned but I've done the best I can for now without being too intrusive such as using Captchas or "prove you are a human" questions. (The latter are in place ready to be deployed if needs be )

Sometimes the confirmation email gets put in your spam folder or even isn't delivered - make sure that you enter your email correctly otherwise you definitely aren't going to get anything. It might take ten minutes or so for it to arrive so be patient. When you click submit the contents of the email are displayed so worth checking those. That page also has a link to the contenders guidance document which should be read as it has information about potential problems and how to avoid them.

If you don't receive a confirmation email then please, please don't fill out the form and send it again! I might have received the original registration and entered it into the system. Once there's more than a few names it gets increasingly difficult to determine if a registration is a duplicate. Wait a short while and then send an email to me at [email protected] and I can check.

Allied to duplicate registrations are changes to the details of your attempt. Registration is house keeping on the club's part and lets us say there were X successes out of Y attempts. Altering the time of day from say 2200 to midnight or from Friday to Saturday because of weather isn't a problem. I only really need to know about major changes of a week or more then I'm not pestering you as to how you got on too soon. Remember that registrations are for 1st January to 31st December of any given year

Phew!
    Bob

Very helpful Bob thanks

Addenda

Sometime folk forget to register or set off as a support runner and actually finish the round. One of the anti-spam measures is that you can't register a date in the past so registering a successful round after the fact is best done by registering for some random date in the future. I've a "dummy" set of data that I can use but it's a bit confusing when I get a ratification form with no associated registration.

I'll post last year's summary of attempts and successes tonight.
    Bob

I am reccying legs 1 and 2 on Sat 17 Feb, so far I think Paul Clarke from this forum is joining and anyone else is welcome. Pace will be steady, aiming just to learn / relearn the route and get back for supper that's all. I'll be staying in Keswick Fri night. Car logistics to be sorted once we know who's involved but it will basically consist of dropping a car at Dunmail then driving back to Keswick to start

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
    I am reccying legs 1 and 2 on Sat 17 Feb, so far I think Paul Clarke from this forum is joining and anyone else is welcome. Pace will be steady, aiming just to learn / relearn the route and get back for supper that's all. I'll be staying in Keswick Fri night. Car logistics to be sorted once we know who's involved but it will basically consist of dropping a car at Dunmail then driving back to Keswick to start
    Hiya ! You still up for doing legs 1&2 on Saturday ? Been away for a few weeks so not been on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul clarke View Post
    Hiya ! You still up for doing legs 1&2 on Saturday ? Been away for a few weeks so not been on the forum.
    Yes, I sent you a private message, I'm still doing what I can of legs 1 & 2 in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
    Yes, I sent you a private message, I'm still doing what I can of legs 1 & 2 in the snow
    Can't find the private message, what time/location pal ?

Paul and I have now messaged but for anyone else who wants to join us we're meeting Moot Hall 8am Sat to go play on legs 1&2. We'll make it up as we go depending how much snow and how slow it means we are, but may for example skirt round Blancathra not up it, cut short at Threlkeld or Helvellyn, miss out Fairfield, etc