Thread: Weather warning

Banned

Weather warning

How is it now a day's that a dusting of snow, bit of drizzle or a fart like breeze, we get a warning?

Massively overkill or good forecasting?

Banned
    Here we go again.
    It's gunner rain.
    So the public need a warning.
    (We'll, we need to justify our jobs)

Folk around here appreciate the warnings, but then it is a high risk flood area, so they would right

I know what you mean though, the warnings seem to be disproportionate to the actual reality.

perhaps it's like doctors, they always go with the worst case scenario so they can't be sued?

Mrs DTR and me got soaked this morning tend to agree re’ the weather warnings, it’s the Michael Fish effect, the problem is if you tell people things and they don’t happen they become complacent around the warnings, then when things do happen, they’re not prepared

I think that depends on the severity of the consequences for not being prepared, no one, and I mean no one in the flood zone here is complacent about anything, slightest hint of a possible flood and they are taking action!

Super Moderator
    We were in Hebden Bridge last night DM and folk were battening down the hatches good and proper. It’s not stopped raining to mean anything for 12 + hours over this side of the hill now. Hope it’s not too bad over there

Cool! It's a lovely town to visit

And yep, that sounds about right, I can understand complacency if you have never had anything go wrong, but 3 major floods in the space of a few years and attitudes change drastically.

I believe we are good, the amount of water that the valley can handle is huge - fingers crossed!!

It's not just the people who have business in the flood zone who are affected, everyone is, when the town floods - everything stops for weeks and it takes years to fully recover. It really is a disaster.

But hey, every cloud has a silver lining as they say and the best thing about the flooding is the community spirit afterwards - it really is enough to make you have some faith in humanity again!

Super Moderator
    We had a walk with our Tussock from near the railway station along the canal out past Mytholmroyd and back followed by fish and chips from the Station Fisheries. Spotted the hawk Ted Hughes sculpture for the first time too. Nice way to spend a couple of hours