Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 summary

2017 summary

Here's a summary of the attempts during 2017.

There were 233 registrations (27 ladies) with 115 successful rounds (13 ladies).

There were 111 successful clockwise rounds (13 ladies) and 4 successful anticlockwise rounds (0 ladies).

Fastest times were 14:59 for the men and 17:57 for the ladies.

The average age of successful contenders was 39yrs 0months.

The age of successful contenders ranged from 20 to 56.

Previous number of attempts Count
    0 97
    1 14
    2 2
    3 1
    4 0
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Interesting stats those - thanks Bob.

Difficult to say for certain without the full spread of times, and given an unavoidable low sample rate, on the face of it the number of successful rounds compared to the fastest times suggests the ladies are better at converting a successful finish into a fast time than the men....

Super Moderator
    Or maybe a few relatively quick decided to do their BG this year

Easy enough to pull out times by gender and group them by hour, i.e. all 19:xx, 20:xx, etc. A bit harder to split them down to fifteen minute or whatever sized blocks.

The success ratios seem to be more even this year, usually the women are slightly more successful than the men,
    Bob

I can't find your post about completion totals per year, Bob, but this must be closest to the highest number ever? It has been ticking over at around 75 completions for the last few years?
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

I do a new post/thread per year. I also put the stats on the Club's website http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=news 2017 had the most successes in a single year by some margin, I think the previous highest was around 95. Generally it's in the 70 sort of range.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I do a new post/thread per year. I also put the stats on the Club's website http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=news 2017 had the most successes in a single year by some margin, I think the previous highest was around 95. Generally it's in the 70 sort of range.
    I did a quick count from the member list Word doc and 93 in 2011 seems to be the highest before 2017; the next highest was 88 in 2010 so there was a bit of a spike then.

Will be interesting to see if 2017's trend continues. Perhaps it was driven by the publicity around Kilian's record attempt or just due to the reasonably good weather over the summer?
    Last edited by DinoF; 29-01-2018 at 02:16 PM.

I haven't got the details here at work but I log when people register ( and from what I remember most registered before there was any talk of Killian having a go. By the time we get to April then most people have registered.

There was a spike in the mid 1980s and it took until the bump around 2010 for the most successful year to be eclipsed. It's quite possible that the 2010 bump was down to Feet In The Clouds but equally it could be a cascade within clubs - someone does the round and others in their club think "well if they can do it, so can I".
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Will be interesting to see if 2017's trend continues. Perhaps it was driven by the publicity around Kilian's record attempt or just due to the reasonably good weather over the summer?
    Good weather over the summer? Spring was good (Jon Duncan's 14:59 came on the same day as that fella who did 14:2x mostly solo, in May I think), but by the time it got to prime-time (June/July/August) it was very wet underfoot. I know at least 2 fast rounds were scheduled for a weekend I helped on and didn't go, the underfoot conditions on the first half of leg 3 were atrocious!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Good weather over the summer? Spring was good (Jon Duncan's 14:59 came on the same day as that fella who did 14:2x mostly solo, in May I think), but by the time it got to prime-time (June/July/August) it was very wet underfoot. I know at least 2 fast rounds were scheduled for a weekend I helped on and didn't go, the underfoot conditions on the first half of leg 3 were atrocious!
    I don't really remember anything further back than a couple of weeks, Nik. Would be interesting then to know why the significantly higher number than usual and if that will become the norm.