Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Waltz and TWA

What was supposed to be an easier Easter weekend of Wainwright-bagging, is now a monster race weekend as i'll be taking on the TWA.

Went round most of the route on a training run in December, not really noticing that most of it was an established race route.

Thinking out loud... Outerside to Grasmoor… it seems the accepted racing line is via Coledale Hause? it can't be that much easier than going along the ridge via Eel Crag, can it?

I know the answer... do both and find out! But whilst the ridge route would entail more climbing, it's undoubtedly on better paths and you don't drop right down to Coledale Hause.

Anyone else ever thought about this or am i alone in my stupidity?

Oh, I though last year was the end of this race. Is the teenager going ahead as well?
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 14-02-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Yes. The Anni Waltz is now the 'Newlands Memorial Round'. The TWA still appears to be the TWA.

The online entry is through some new-fangled results website, but it appears that Cumberland Fell Runners may now be putting these races on.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    What was supposed to be an easier Easter weekend of Wainwright-bagging, is now a monster race weekend as i'll be taking on the TWA.

Went round most of the route on a training run in December, not really noticing that most of it was an established race route.

Thinking out loud... Outerside to Grasmoor… it seems the accepted racing line is via Coledale Hause? it can't be that much easier than going along the ridge via Eel Crag, can it?

I know the answer... do both and find out! But whilst the ridge route would entail more climbing, it's undoubtedly on better paths and you don't drop right down to Coledale Hause.

Anyone else ever thought about this or am i alone in my stupidity?
    Outerside was made a checkpoint after Causey Pike because the National Park authority would not allow the race to go along the ridge over Sail and Crag hill. You do not have to drop down to the valley. From Outerside descend in a southwesterly direction and circle above some crags following small race path to join the path to Coledale Hause. Soon after the hause you leave the path and make a bee line to the summit.
    Last edited by ydt; 14-02-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Thank you YDT

Quick question about ER - I have not yet run a fell race. What exactly does ER mean?
    As I am in the UK over Easter (based in Ulverston), was looking in the fixtures book and saw the Newlands Memorial. I can handle the distance and climbing, as the races I've done here are AM and AL in terms of numbers, albeit without the navigation. Used to instruct kids on the DoE awards, so can use a map and compass.
    Would I be allowed to start? Email to ask RO, or just enter and hope for the best?

ER (experienced required) appears in the details of many races. But you only have to give your experience where specifically asked when you enter.

I can't remember if any details were required for TWA, i don't think it was actually... however your experience stated above seems pretty relevant and sufficient, so i wouldn't worry unduly.

Certainly the Newlands Memorial (old Anniversary Waltz) i highly doubt they'll ask you to prove any experience.

TWA for me... never done the race but i know the vast majority of the route. A bit of a beast.

TWA for me... never done the race but i know the vast majority of the route. A bit of a beast.
    You'll enjoy TWA Travs - my favorite race.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

ER (experienced required) appears in the details of many races. But you only have to give your experience where specifically asked when you enter.

I can't remember if any details were required for TWA, i don't think it was actually... however your experience stated above seems pretty relevant and sufficient, so i wouldn't worry unduly.

Certainly the Newlands Memorial (old Anniversary Waltz) i highly doubt they'll ask you to prove any experience.

Just entered the memorial, for the sake of nine quid it's worth a shot. If not, a day out in Keswick with the fam isn't the end of the world (well, at easter weekend it won't be far off!)

Does anyone have an unrequired place for the TWA? I emailed the organiser and the place can be transferred if someone is injured/can't run. I'm happy to pay entry cost obvs! Cheers