Thread: Cellulitis

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Cellulitis

Cellulitis: a bacterial infection of the inner layers of skin, usually in the legs or arms, and most common in older people (older than my 59 years). But I had it once at the age of 34, the next time 10 years after that, but for the last 15 years I have had it on average more than once every two years.

This time was a bit different. Usually I notice pain, redness and swelling in the affected area (nearly always the foot in my case), and then maybe start feeling feverish if I haven't got my antibiotic prescription fast enough. But yesterday I was convinced I had flu (headache, shivering, dry throat, weakness), and only this morning did I start noticing the symptoms in my foot. The GP noticed broken skin on my big toe, and reckoned that was where the bacteria had gone in.

We fell-runners tend to be rather blasé about superficial damage to our feet. Whereas we are very concerned about damage to muscle, tendons and ligaments because that will stop us running, we treat broken toenails and damage to the skin as just an inevitable part of the game, and nothing to worry about. But for anyone who is susceptible to cellulitis, it can be more of a problem.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I had this once, maybe 10-12 years ago, in my arm, it was treated with antibiotics and disappeared within a few days of starting treatment. I can't remember a great deal about it, apart from it being painful enough for me to go to hospital, having an IV whacked into my vein in my hand which made me feel very faint, and the antibiotic pills being absolutely huge...

Never really considered where it came from. But I keep my feet pretty clean with surgical spirit (also to toughen the skin up) about 4 or 5 times a week.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Yes, mine always disappears within a few days of starting antibiotic treatment.

I have only once been admitted to hospital with it. That was the second time I got it; there was only mild discomfort in my foot, which I ignored, and I didn't take myself to the NHS Urgent Care Centre (or whatever it was called in those days) until I started feeling really groggy. They took my temperature: 39.8C. So I got a ride in an ambulance. I have been more aware of the symptoms since then!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

My wife had it on her arm a number of years ago from a horsefly bite, a week in hospital on intravenous antibiotics on the back of it, it’s made her really uneasy around anything that bites or stings ever since I tend to use good old fashioned medicated talc on my feet after a run, especially if I’ve been trawling through wet fields full of livestock, I always think it’s better to be safe than sorry