Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colne Valley Seven Trigs

Colne Valley Seven Trigs

I have been wondering about putting a route together which visits all seven of the Trig points around the Colne Valley above Slawit, Linfit and Marsden. I have visited five of them over the years and thought with the other two a nice challenge was on. There are access issues, but when did that ever stop us?

I set out this morning from our house at Slawit and skated on the ice towards Colne Valley High school. Across firlds and down alley ways to the first Trig at Crossland Golf Course, SE 10602 13984, 889ft ASL. I made this the first on my route to avoid any hearty exchanges with golfers who may not like fell shoes on the fairway. This Trig is on a RoW. It was a two mile trog down to Deer Hill Res to the second trig at SE 07357 12124, 1072ft ASL. The next Trig is at the highest point of the route on the Summit of West Nab,SE 07623 08799 and 1623ft ASL. This stretch offers lots of route choice with the possibility of visiting the B-17 wreck. From West Nab it was accross the rocky outcrops and down to Hey Sike Clough to pick up the Pennine Way.I stuck to this for the next seven miles or so. On this stretch I had lunch at the next Trig at Standedge SE 01217 10429 1453ft ASL. Crunchin on the consolidated snow I trogged on to White Hill Trig at SD 99092 13209, 1514ft ASL. I took a bearing of 70 degrees, to avoid the road and tussock bashed to Buckstones House. I was now knackered. A jog along the road, passing parasailers took me to the Trig at Cupwith Hill, SE 03242 14109, 1390ft ASL.On down to Pole Moor. You can use the track behind Goat Hill to avoid the road, and to Wholestone Moor. The Last Trig is at SE 07732 16669, 1238ft ASL. Using a mixture of footpaths and road I jogged the last two miles back home.
    The route was 24.5 miles in length and involved 3700 feet of ups and downs. There was plenty of route choice and the odd bit of fence hopping.It is a bit of a buffet and you can choose how much road you want to use, however the heather/tussock bashing takes its toll. I did it in five hours twenty and am happy with that given the amount of faffing about finding Deer Hill Trig.

Re: Colne Valley Seven Trigs

Picked a good day for it - sounds like fun!

Probably best not using it for Rasher's first outing though....! :wink:
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
    Picked a good day for it - sounds like fun!

Probably best not using it for Rasher's first outing though....! :wink:
    I'll stick with the Marsden 10 miler for that.

Rodders just come across your thread, what a great idea, just reaching for map to plan a route from Golcar.
    As the founder do you have any stipulations re road crossing points?
    I hope to get round to it prior to the fellsman .
    Thanks for a great local route .

Sounds interesting, Rodders. Do you have a route on a map to share? I may have time on Friday to have a go round this route.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    Rodders just come across your thread, what a great idea, just reaching for map to plan a route from Golcar.
    As the founder do you have any stipulations re road crossing points?
    I hope to get round to it prior to the fellsman .
    Thanks for a great local route .
    Apart from not peeing off those who tee off on the golf course the only stipulation is to enjoy it. Clone valley residents have the best chance of minimising road use. Hope you have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Spookster View Post
    Sounds interesting, Rodders. Do you have a route on a map to share? I may have time on Friday to have a go round this route.
    I can email you a GPX, but that may take the fun out of getting lost. I will plot a route suitable for those not used to the valley area and get it to you. Pm me an email address.

Thanks for the route Rodders.
    I have sneaked round it this morning. I did them in the same order as you starting by the canal near the entrance to Spa Park. Golf course was happily deserted as no FP markers made route finding across the fairways a lottery. Hated the road run to Trig two, but found it ok. Went via conduit and across to road on way to West Nab. Like you dropped downhill and onto the Pennine Way for next two trigs. From White Hill I followed the fence for a while and then made a beeline for the road which had appeared over the crest. Like you I was tired by the time I hit the road and having to look at the next two trigs in the distance made this stretch tough going. Went on tracks round back of Pole Hill and made route to last trig an out and back route. Started to get cramp on drop back down paths to starting point so maybe could have done with a larger drinks bottle!
    Great views of the route from many points along the way
    My splits were:
    trig 1 0:20, trig 2 0:45, trig 3 1:20, trig 4 2:19, trig 5 2:46, trig 6 3:15, trig 7 3:57, total time 4:20.
    Thanks again for posting the route.
    Who's next?
    Spookster

Well done Spookster. That looks like a time to beat! You can cut short the road section between the first two trips by means of blackmoorfoot res and the water courses or Meltham cop track.

Great route, will do it and report back, thanks!
    a rush and a push and the land is ours