Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howgills

Howgills

Hi,
    While I'm waiting for RO's email, does anyone here know if having ran several half marathons abroad in the last 12 months is sufficient evidence for Howgills tomorrow?
    My dad of 72 yrs is coming from Italy to give the fells a go.
    Thanks in advance.
    Simo

The organiser posted on Facebook (though his own page so not sure how useful that is!):
    The important stuff: it will be full FRA kit as mandatory and without exception. This is a very tough fell race not for the inexperienced. We are also asking for you to put on your entry form relevant AL fell race experience from the last two years or equivalent alternative.
    The quote from the website:
    This race is over a rough, tough largely pathless course with slippy uneven ground that is rocky. The weather in April is rarely ‘pleasant’ and the fells are often clagged in, making navigation difficult on a course with many pathless sections. If you are at all unsure of your ability to complete the course safely, you should gain more experience and come back another year.
    I'd suggest eyeing something a bit more gentle.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

It was a brilliant beast of a race. Thank you. I’m almost afraid to ask given how wasted I’ll look but are there any photos anywhere - there were photographers on the course (unless I was hallucinating).

What a race. Feeling the effects today. Yesterday my legs weren't too bad but the mighty DOM's has kicked in. Definitely a classic this one, looking forward to pencilling it in on my calendar year on year from now on.

Thanks to Adam & the team for putting it together and making it happen on the day.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Done it both times now and even though conditions were slower this year, it was every bit as 'enjoyable'. I wonder if any other race has a more sever ascent/distance ratio? 13.5 miles and 7375' acc to my gps

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    I wonder if any other race has a more sever ascent/distance ratio? 13.5 miles and 7375' acc to my gps
    If your GPS is correct (as opposed to the official statistics, which might be for a supposed optimum route), then it may be the steepest AL race (I haven't done a trawl through the complete Calendar, but your 540ft/mile would even beat the Peris Horseshoe). However, there are certainly steeper AS races; for example Scafell Pike -- and that is mild compared to the BOFRA race up and down Kirkfell from the same venue.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Great Lakes is close at 7000ft and 13 miles. I make that approx 2ft/mile less steep than the Howgills...!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Great Lakes is close at 7000ft and 13 miles. I make that approx 2ft/mile less steep than the Howgills...!
    My Garmin races for the two races are Howgills 13.9miles/6685ft = 481ft/mile and Great Lakes 14.5 miles/7230 ft = 498ft/mile.

Note, I also didn't take the best lines on the Great Lakes race.

Memory does heal pain and it was a while ago that I did the Great Lakes, but the terrain on the Lakes race is much rougher and it certainly took me a lot longer, although conditions weren't great when I did it. They are both great races, but I'd probably think the Great Lakes race is just slightly harder.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    My Garmin races for the two races are Howgills 13.9miles/6685ft = 481ft/mile and Great Lakes 14.5 miles/7230 ft = 498ft/mile.

Note, I also didn't take the best lines on the Great Lakes race.

Memory does heal pain and it was a while ago that I did the Great Lakes, but the terrain on the Lakes race is much rougher and it certainly took me a lot longer, although conditions weren't great when I did it. They are both great races, but I'd probably think the Great Lakes race is just slightly harder.
    I'm finding all this talk about miles and feet very confusing (but then I was born in the 50's, so was brought up with metric) - anyway the Teenager looks pretty similar. Using American units that is quoted as 15.3miles/7546ft which works out at 493ft/mile. We walked that route on Sunday and it certainly felt quite hilly.