Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howgills

I think my route choices on Friday could’ve been better looking at some of the stats from fellow runners.

Distance: 14.19 miles
    Ascent: 7343 ft
    Descent: 7316 ft

How accurate is my watch? I guess the only true way of working out the stats is the good old fashioned tried and tested map reading.

The following day I did Dungeon Ghyll and my watch clocked Harrison Stickle at 2516 ft......Harrison Stickle is actually 2415 ft.

Basically the fancy gadgets that make our lives easier don’t always tell the truth.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    I think my route choices on Friday could’ve been better looking at some of the stats from fellow runners.

Distance: 14.19 miles
    Ascent: 7343 ft
    Descent: 7316 ft

How accurate is my watch? I guess the only true way of working out the stats is the good old fashioned tried and tested map reading.

The following day I did Dungeon Ghyll and my watch clocked Harrison Stickle at 2516 ft......Harrison Stickle is actually 2415 ft.

Basically the fancy gadgets that make our lives easier don’t always tell the truth.
    The organiser of the LM42 race on Saturday asked via Facebook for competitor's distance/ascent stats, as it was a shortened course and exact figures were not known. Distances were anything between about 25.5-27 miles, and 5900-7000ft!

Didn't see much social media presence for this one... but it was a Champs race today...

Alas I drove past the Howgills on the M6 today and completely forgot it was on, otherwise would have pulled into Sedbergh for a look...

I hear Carl Bell won narrowly from Rob Jebb. Victoria Wilkinson won the ladies and came something like 21st overall...

I used to console myself with the thought that at my age of 36, at least Carl Bell is about ten years younger than me... but I believe I am mistaken, and isn't he about 36 or 37...? God help us all...

Banned

Hi,
    Does anyone here know when Howgills fell race might be staged in 2020?
    So far I can only see the trail version, which is not real use to me tbh.
    Many thanks.

Hi SC,

I am intending to now arrange this race for later in the year, perhaps September if not too close to Sedbergh Hills. Unfortunately it has not happened in its usual March / April slot this year.

Thanks for your interest and I hope a later race doesn't mean you will miss the event.

Cheers,

Adam

Adam,
    Thanks for replying, I'll keep an eye out for the new date.
    Simo