Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Early female fell runner

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppynet View Post
    I have popped most of the older pictures up on

https://www.clwydianfellrace.org/?page_id=504

If you want any details on any in particular let me know (best emailing me).

hop
    Thank you, that is brilliant! There are some tantalising references in the newspaper reports: in the 1960 reports it is expected that the race will be held annually, while the 1973 reports say that it had not been held for 10 years. So was the race run in 1961/2/3? I suppose it would need someone to delve into the archives of the local press to find out.

I also note that Chorley, the home of the 1960 winner, was not the Lancashire Chorley as I had assumed, but the village of Chorley between Nantwich and Malpas.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Yes. Darren Fishwick retains his crown ;-)
    I have recently contacted the winners family with a view to getting them to this years race. Luckily live on the same farm.

The 1961 race was advertised in the 61 Show Programme but there were no details given and the show archives have no information after the 60 race. Unfortuneatly the local paper of the time as long since vanished and the local library doesn't hold copies. I think it may be a Chester records office or bust mission on this.

My own feeling is that 61 did not happen but I could be wrong. Pretty sure 62-72 is a definite NO.

I have asked Harry Williams (local farmer who was 2nd in the first race) if he remembers - likely to be the only one if anyones remembers (or cares!).
    hop