Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early female fell runner

Oh yes and Susan Beach should have been not allowed to race (or DSQ) as the race was "open for all 16 to 60" and she was 14...

In Anthony Kay's original post, are the numbers in brackets the ages of the runners at that time or are they the runners' race numbers? Just a thought.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    In Anthony Kay's original post, are the numbers in brackets the ages of the runners at that time or are they the runners' race numbers? Just a thought.
    The information was quoted from the Cilcain Show website, and I just assumed that the numbers were ages; it seems more likely than quoting race numbers, which would be of less interest to readers.

Anyway, thanks to Hoppynet for the update, and I hope you are successful in digging out information on the early years of the race.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Anthony,

many race results sheets, although in order of finish position, also have a column for each finisher's race number. It could be that whoever compiled the Cilcain Show website was merely copying out all the information given against each runner on a tabulated results sheet?
    It is rare for a results sheet to show the exact age ( to the actual year ) of every runner.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    The information was quoted from the Cilcain Show website, and I just assumed that the numbers were ages; it seems more likely than quoting race numbers, which would be of less interest to readers.

Anyway, thanks to Hoppynet for the update, and I hope you are successful in digging out information on the early years of the race.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Anthony,

many race results sheets, although in order of finish position, also have a column for each finisher's race number. It could be that whoever compiled the Cilcain Show website was merely copying out all the information given against each runner on a tabulated results sheet?
    Yes, that is possible. I think I was assuming that the information had been copied from a local newspaper report, where you typically get people's ages in brackets. I suppose we can't settle it unless someone unearths an original results sheet, or finds a report in the archives of the local newspaper. (Where's Bill Smith when you need him?)
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

John Messum, who held the record for many years, is still around coaching juniors at Deeside AC - he might know something - will ask next time I see him.