Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy Buckley Round

I would like to thank everybody for their help and advice. I have, thanks to a personal message, managed to download a GPX file. Tips and advice are still, and will always be, welcome.

I am indeed still thinking through my strategy. Where to start from, what time to start and which direction to start in (CW/CCW). I have had a look at the finishers details and my preference would indeed be to start in the morning from Capel Curig as mentioned by Adnan Khan. Llanberis would also be an option. The benefit I see from starting from Capel Curig is that I have understood there is a tricky boggy area soon after Capael Curig and I would prefer to pass this with daylight and still relatively fresh. By doing so, I will also cross the Snowdon area after the mass tourism has left, or so I assume. As an alternative I could start from Capel Curig but go CCW. Starting with the technical climbs of the Glyders and finishing through the boggy section the following morning, again by daylight. I suppose best would be to see for myself once I am in the area and after some recce runs.
    In 2015 I took part in the Dragon's Back Race but unfortunately was pulled out at the support point on day three for missing the cut off time...with 15 minutes. From this experience I know how beautiful the area is, but also how technically difficult. I am looking forward to being on the great Paddy Buckley Round with a healthy doses of respect.
    Last edited by the Warrior; 02-08-2018 at 07:17 PM.

All the rounds I've been involved with have gone CW and have done the Snowdon section in the dark, as this is probably the easiest navigation. Arriving at Pont Cae'r Gors around dusk seems to work quite well.

I'd say your idea of doing the Moelwyns (Capel to Aberglaslyn) whilst you're fresh is a sound idea. Also, starting from Capel means you finish with a relatively easy leg over the Carneddau.

Finally, if YDT gives you any advice then listen closely. For he is very wise.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    All the rounds I've been involved with have gone CW and have done the Snowdon section in the dark, as this is probably the easiest navigation. Arriving at Pont Cae'r Gors around dusk seems to work quite well.

I'd say your idea of doing the Moelwyns (Capel to Aberglaslyn) whilst you're fresh is a sound idea. Also, starting from Capel means you finish with a relatively easy leg over the Carneddau.

Finally, if YDT gives you any advice then listen closely. For he is very wise.
    When Steve Cliff and I did the Paddy together we started at half past midnight from Capel Curig clockwise. I would not recommend doing that section in the dark,it is far too complicated!

I would agree with Geoff and Yiannis. Not a good idea to do Capel Curig CW leg in the dark and as Geoff said starting from Pont Cae'r Gors to do Snowdon in dark seems to work well. Here's my little writing on the round if its going to help you with anything.

_|_
    ./\.

I have arrived in Wales a few days ago and have done some runs on the Round. The scenery is very beautiful. Today I have done the llanberis to Ogwen leg but unfortunately my companion, our border collie, was having difficulty with the rocky boulders at Glyder Fach. Had to make a de-tour. Tomorrow I am planning on doing two legs. One from Ogwen to Capel curig and the second from Nantmor to Pont Caer Gors. This will leave me with just the Capel Curig to Nantmor leg to do. Once I have completed all sections I will decide where to start from and what time. After today's section I have to admit that I'd prefer to do the Glyders during daylight.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I see Nicky Spinks is going for a double PB this weekend.

https://www.inov-8.com/blog/nicky-sp...paddy-buckley/

Just coming into Capel Curig to make it a ~ 23.30 for the first round.

Through Llanberis in 46. 21

So, the sub 48 is out then. Nonetheless, still a fantastic performance and looks like she is still going strong on the tracker so hats off to her! It's sobering that I can recall doing the Carneddau and thinking it was a big day out, but Nicky has thess, Tryfan and the Glyders to do having already been going for 47 hours!!!!!