Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Paddy Buckley Round

Damian Hall has provisonally set a new PBR record of 17 hrs 31 minutes: https://www.strava.com/activities/2464812733

Very cool! Taken from his twitter:
    "I’m not a fell runner. I’m from the Cotswolds. But I like lumps.
    _
    The Paddy Buckley Round (47 peaks, 61 miles, 28,000ft vert) record of 17:42 had stood for 10 years.
    _
    Having supported three attempts, I’ve become increasing fascinated by the enigmatic Paddy; the quirkiest, least celebrated and perhaps toughest – or at least trickiest – of the classic 24-hour rounds.
    _
    A sub-24-hour Paddy had eluded me earlier in the year. It was unfinished business. Finally there was a weather window.
    _
    I couldn’t decide whether to gather a support team, like a proper fell runner, and have a pop at the record. Or just go solo, self-supported, have an adventure and see what came of it. In the end it was a bit of both.
    _
    I set off from Llanberis at 4am, Wednesday 19 June, solo, under a big moon.
    _
    Everything was skill, really, till Capel Curig (though I'd missed a few optimum lines thanks to daydreaming). THAT leg was still boggy, almost waist deep in places. I was more than 10 mins behind my 17:40 schedule at Nantmor
    _
    I got dehydrated. Snails overtook me on the way up Bryn Banog and the monstrous Moel Hebog.
    _
    By the end of leg 4/Pont Cea'r Gors I was almost 30 mins behind the record. I didn't really mind though. I was having a cracking day out. And the second fastest ever Paddy time would be pretty cool, too.
    _
    But I had a secret weapon: local speedster Michael Corrales (@michaelcorralesmills). “I really, truly think we can still break the record," he said. I didn't believe him.
    _
    He encouraged, cajoled and politely nagged me on the long slog up Snowdon in the gloaming. We made up time here and there. He kept on brilliantly bullying me. My climbing was sub-par. But we hammered the descents.
    _
    I made it back to Llanberis in 17:31."

Unfortunately, it will not be recognised as he said himself the first leg (at least) was solo.

Go Far's list of registered completions consists of a considerable number of solo completions so I don't see why not...

Quote Originally Posted by rivers View Post
    Go Far's list of registered completions consists of a considerable number of solo completions so I don't see why not...
    Not a clue, the Bob Graham does have rules about validation, I assumed the Paddy was the same. Is there an "offical list" of completions akin to the BG List?

Quote Originally Posted by rivers View Post
    I'd agree. As far as I'm aware the Paddy Buckley Round doesn't require a witness at each top as the Bob Graham does. I'm sure Paddy Buckley himself would clear the matter up but my impressions of the round are that it's more informal than the Bob Graham - helped by the relative lack of attempts and lower profile.

Nice way of listing it with the relevant comments where applicable. So you can decide yourself which one you choose to recognise as the fastest round.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 21-06-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by galbraith View Post
    I'd agree. As far as I'm aware the Paddy Buckley Round doesn't require a witness at each top as the Bob Graham does. I'm sure Paddy Buckley himself would clear the matter up but my impressions of the round are that it's more informal than the Bob Graham - helped by the relative lack of attempts and lower profile.
    He's not trying to get into a club is he? just doing the fastest known time on the route, i.e. the record.

In other news - Tindersticks of this parish completed this morning in 23:25. Well done Darren! Top man.