Anyone done this before - it's in it's 25th year so some of you might

Any tips, other than it's a LONG way!

Anyone else signing up for it?

http://www.hmarston.co.uk/

Re: Round Rotherham 50

I've been challenged to do it.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

I think Sarah's doing it, I probably won't.

I missed the start as I was having a crap, so started 10 minutes late, caught up with two old guys who said they had done it before so settled into a jog with them, half an hour later stumbling through a forest they admitted that they ALWAYS get lost, so watch out for them.

In the end we did it 'offiicially' in 9:19, - crap = 9:09.

Well organised, good food, great atmosphere. Be careful of the nav you can get a bit lost. Some of the walkers can be quite competitive and won't help you if you ask which way, or call you back if they see you go wrong. The runners were far friendlier on the whole.

Good event.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I think Sarah's doing it, I probably won't.

I missed the start as I was having a crap, so started 10 minutes late, caught up with two old guys who said they had done it before so settled into a jog with them, half an hour later stumbling through a forest they admitted that they ALWAYS get lost, so watch out for them.

In the end we did it 'offiicially' in 9:19, - crap = 9:09.

Well organised, good food, great atmosphere. Be careful of the nav you can get a bit lost. Some of the walkers can be quite competitive and won't help you if you ask which way, or call you back if they see you go wrong. The runners were far friendlier on the whole.

Good event.
    thanks Ian - tell Sarah I'll see her there!

can I have a full description of Statler and Waldorf (here's hoping you remember them!!) then i can avoid them please

Lol! They were very undescript, very typical old fell runner looking which doesn't narrow it down!

I'm fairly sure we also paid with a rubber cheque last time due to poverty and living right on the edge of the bank balance so I think we need to reimburse before Sarah or I can enter. Around that time a number of them were bouncing so it was likely it did.

We set off on the early start, it was dark for the first hour or so, but meant we finished in the light.

Good luck, a great ultra.

There's many good scottish ultras too if you fancy it. I reckon one of the best is the Devil O The Highlands (in August I think next year), 43 miles, along the WHW from Tyndrum to Fort William, the HIghland Fling (in April) is also good but at 53 miles and roiugher terrain is a good 1.5-2 hrs longer.

The scottish ultras take some beating, but the food on the RR is second to none. We literally ate our way around the course.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Lol! They were very undescript, very typical old fell runner looking which doesn't narrow it down!

I'm fairly sure we also paid with a rubber cheque last time due to poverty and living right on the edge of the bank balance so I think we need to reimburse before Sarah or I can enter. Around that time a number of them were bouncing so it was likely it did.

We set off on the early start, it was dark for the first hour or so, but meant we finished in the light.

Good luck, a great ultra.

There's many good scottish ultras too if you fancy it. I reckon one of the best is the Devil O The Highlands (in August I think next year), 43 miles, along the WHW from Tyndrum to Fort William, the HIghland Fling (in April) is also good but at 53 miles and roiugher terrain is a good 1.5-2 hrs longer.

The scottish ultras take some beating, but the food on the RR is second to none. We literally ate our way around the course.
    Thanks Iain, just checked the site and although it states walkers 6am start and runners 7am this 'is not cast in stone' so i may well opt for a headtorch 6am start and a space on the floor of the hall/shed?!!

Sounds like the run may keep delayed due to the generous refuelling staions!

Like the sound of next August in Scotland I'll keep it in mind!

10 minutes That's a long crap
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

A few pages of a book, slightly reduced duration due to race start time having passed. 15 - 20 minutes is a leisurely Sunday morning, generally though a full chapter is too long.

hi

i'm thinking of it , some bloke i met from rotherham club was trying the hard sell on me and my mate yesterday on hp 40. sounds good and not a lot of road. sounds like a laugth and planning to stop over on the floor too if we end up on it and you cant beat getting lost by the light of a headtorch
    may be see some of you there.