Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast

Thread: Round Rotherham 50

Re: Round Rotherham 50

I am in(but have realised today that it was meant to be No 52 and I have now done one too many so it is likely to be No53)

Re: Round Rotherham 50

Great! See you there Nick, Andy and Karen, although I probably won't see you all for dust once the whistle blows

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Anyone done this before - it's in it's 25th year so some of you might

Any tips, other than it's a LONG way!

Anyone else signing up for it?

http://www.hmarston.co.uk/
    I signed up for the first time,just a few legs to recce?eat and drink plenty I guess my plan is ;-) maybe some running?

See you there protodoc, splatcher and Karen. I'm really looking forward to it again.

simons72 you'll love it for its variety and novelty factors, one of which is the strip map. You'll need to print it out in colour about a week before to make sure you have the latest version, then use it nightly for bedtime reading to get used to its quirks and idiosyncrasies. On race day you must follow it slavishly and you won't go wrong. Afterwards you'll barely be able to contain yourself until next year when you get to do it all again and push for a PB. (BTW emmilou's quote was from 2007, just in case anyone was wondering.)

Why? why? why? Rotherham? 50miles? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    Why? why? why? Rotherham? 50miles? Why?
    1 point for utmb 2014

Don't forget the qualification for the Western States 100 lottery, it seemed like half the people last year was there for that.

Its a lot more fun than it sounds, plus its round rotherham, not in rotherham.

Just packing. Wellies or roclites? Tricky call...
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Andy, the forecast isn't looking too bad for tomorrow. Only raining from 2pm onwards.

I'm gambling on road shoes again as they don't pick up clods from the fields like trail shoes do.

Well I'm pretty knackered now. Driving home from Rotherham last night was a bit touch & go too. It wasn't too muddy really: not enough for much to build up on my shoes anyway, & not much of the route is across fields. The mud on the tracks & field edges was generally not deep enough to slow you down much. And it stayed warm & dry, although the light drizzle & general humidity steamed my specs up so I had to run without them for the first half. Sunny by the end though! Three years ago I swore I'd never try this race again, after jacking it in 35 miles in. I must confess it didn't seem much better yesterday, although this time I finished, & in a respectable time (9:11). The race is organised really well, & it was great to chat to people on the way round, but it's not really my sort of terrain. Too flat & nowhere near scenic enough. And too many industrial estates, both live & derelict. Still. I've a nasty suspicion I'll be back next year for another dose of the nasty medicine.

And...my OMM partner for next weekend finished about 3/4 hour in front of me, so I'm in for a hard time in the Brecon Beacons too!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club