Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what punishment?

what punishment?

Fell races are, on the whole, entirely wonderful events because of their low key nature in wonderful scenery and running with like minded folks. Of course, for this to work, we all need to stick to the spirit and pay due respect to the organisers. Below, I have copied a redacted statement regarding a current transgression by a couple of runners. I was struck by the blatant and belligerent abuse of the race organisation by the individuals. Of course one might get peeved at being pulled from a race but to do what they did then beggers my belief.
    What kind of sanction do folks think is appropriate for such behaviour and attitude?

Following the recent running of the XX race at X, reports were received from the race organiser, and others, regarding a blatant and deliberate breach of the safety rules.
    This refers to two individuals.
    It was noted at the start line that they were without kit, and as such they were withdrawn from the race and their race numbers were returned. They then chose to re-join the field without the organiser being aware, completing the course and finishing by entering the finish funnel, resulting in their being timed and counted, which served to cause confusion as to the number of finishers. This created a safety risk, due to the organiser being unsure of the exact number of finishers and who was safely off the mountain.

The permitting authority has already applied a sanction so any discussion here cannot influence matters. I'm just interested in what people think is a reasonable sanction?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

a lot more than they got!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Fell races are, on the whole, entirely wonderful events because of their low key nature in wonderful scenery and running with like minded folks. Of course, for this to work, we all need to stick to the spirit and pay due respect to the organisers. Below, I have copied a redacted statement regarding a current transgression by a couple of runners. I was struck by the blatant and belligerent abuse of the race organisation by the individuals. Of course one might get peeved at being pulled from a race but to do what they did then beggers my belief.
    What kind of sanction do folks think is appropriate for such behaviour and attitude?

Following the recent running of the XX race at X, reports were received from the race organiser, and others, regarding a blatant and deliberate breach of the safety rules.
    This refers to two individuals.
    It was noted at the start line that they were without kit, and as such they were withdrawn from the race and their race numbers were returned. They then chose to re-join the field without the organiser being aware, completing the course and finishing by entering the finish funnel, resulting in their being timed and counted, which served to cause confusion as to the number of finishers. This created a safety risk, due to the organiser being unsure of the exact number of finishers and who was safely off the mountain.

The permitting authority has already applied a sanction so any discussion here cannot influence matters. I'm just interested in what people think is a reasonable sanction?

Burnt alive, hanged, drawn and quartered and their bits then buried in quicklime - and banned from FRA races for 6 months.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Only 6 months????

The website still says 'No reported disciplinary matters', name and shame I say!
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Banned
    I agree👍

Feel free to report to FRA disciplinary...they will investigate and decide on a suitable punishment...not sure hung drawn and quartered is with in there remit though

How about enforced road running every weekend for a year?

Piss enough organisers off and there is no sport. Ban for at least a year I say.

Bigfella, the website only refers to eFRA!
    As I said, the appropriate authority has already meted out punishment. I must admit, I lean towards Navigators view.
    They got a 3 month ban. My feeling is they got off lightly.

Another point for discussion. If I was the RO, irrespective of the punishment meted out by the permitting authority, I would permanently ban them from any race I was putting. We can do without kn*bheads like this.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth