Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Rose 50 2018

Hi Pat, I don't want to go off topic but what happened to your brother and the dog bite? Sounds awful.

Super Moderator
    Pat I remember meeting you too but again doubt I’d recognise you. I do seem to remember you having a penchant for Marston’s Pedigree mind, which is good

Unfortunately I’ve been quite ill recently (inc four days in hospital) and tbh it’s highly unlikely we’ll be at the RR50

Weather looking very promising for this tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Weather looking very promising for this tomorrow, really looking forward to it.
    How did it go Doctor?

Red Rose 50 was really good. Nice route, superb food. Rained a bit at first but cleared up nicely. Didn't knowing see DrPat.

I was there with my twin brother who flew in from Dublin for it. He is coming back from the above mentioned dog bite so he went off at 8am with the walkers. I enjoyed it, just done the one other LDWA 50, the Bullock Smithy. It may not be any more difficult overall, but it has a much tougher end, with some stiff climbs and difficult ground/navigation in the last 25 Km. I teamed up with three others who, I joined, got dropped by, caught again, due to varying high/lows/nav errors. The section after Darwin Tower is by far the nicest part of the route. Very happy with the 12:44:00, I was 13:00:30 for the Smithy a couple of years ago. Not sure but I think there was ten or 12 names on the finish list when I had a quick look at it, need to wait for the official results.

I used my GPX device a lot over the last 1.5 hours after sunset and I am not apologising for it. I shouted out to a couple of lads who missed a junction and then had a right train of people following me across some fields in the dark on the leg betwen Entwistle and Hawkshaw

https://www.strava.com/activities/1844626713/overview
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 17-09-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Red Rose 50 was great. results are up 9n their website now. Nice to see you Dr P Barry
    Last edited by karen nash; 18-09-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Red Rose 50 was great. results are up 9n their website now. Nice to see you Dr P Barry
    Likewise Karen, I know it was not a race, but still second is a stunning effort really well done. I was 9th in the end, but I suppose it was 10th as one of the 8am "walkers" was 20 minutes in front of me. It must have been very late in the event when you finally passed him.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 18-09-2018 at 10:07 AM.

first man started steady then passed us and ran off more and more. Think he passed at Brinscall area. First walker I caught around Brinscall but he was still close by at Houghton (running a fair bit).Albert and Toney were ahead til Mellor but Toney pulled something or trapped a nerve so I overtook them. I ran totally alone from Billing Hill/ Wilton Park.

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar
    I enjoyed most of this and found I only needed to supplement the route description with Memory Map on the phone a few times. That is, until the tail end of the Entwistle to Hawkshaw section. Somehow we muddled up Hawkshaw Hall and Hawkshaw itself, so at the main road we unknowingly turned away from the checkpoint and all its creature comforts in search of a footpath in 0.3 of a mile. Eventually after 3/4 of a mile we backtracked and partly realised our error, but still assumed we were one stage of the description from the checkpoint, and still couldn't make the description match the ground. We were relieved when we were overtaken, as this confirmed we were on the right route once again. It went against the grain not to have a handle on where we were, but when I tried to read the description on the move I stumbled and if I stopped to do it our overtakers/saviours nearly vanished into the night, so I went into idiot follower mode. Sometime in the next few miles we realised what had happened, but felt no urge to retrace our steps to collect our punch marks.
    Thank you East Lancashire LDWA for a well-run event through interesting scenery (though I wish it didn't have all that invasive Himalayan Balsam). And thank you to the people I ran/shambled/walked with!