Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: VJ Irocks

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Thanks Pete.
    On that basis, I think I'll give the XTRM a try and see how I get on. Unfortunately not many stockists in our neck of the woods so may have to wait until I'm back in the Lakes so I can try some on or perhaps take a chance online.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Ah I see...

Yeah I had a mudclaw explode on Green Gable at Ennerdale last year.

I seriously couldn't notice much difference between the Mudclaw and Xtrm in terms of grip quality... although that is possibly down to my technique improving since I wore the mudclaws. if you look at the pattern on an Xtrm it's more like an X-talon than a mudclaw, it doesn't look as substantial.

I was half a size down on the Xtrm compared to the mudclaw.

overall summary... not much in it with regards to grip, possibly a photo-finish victory for the mudclaw... but the longevity and quality of the upper is far higher on the Xtrm...
    I would say the big difference in grip, for me, is that the butyl rubber used by VJSports is much grippier (stickier) on hard surfaces (wet rock and stony trails in particular) than any Inov8 or any other shoes i've used. Also more durable (don't wear down nearly as quickly). And the uppers are much much more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    I would say the big difference in grip, for me, is that the butyl rubber used by VJSports is much grippier (stickier) on hard surfaces (wet rock and stony trails in particular) than any Inov8 or any other shoes i've used. Also more durable (don't wear down nearly as quickly). And the uppers are much much more durable.
    How did you find the sizing compared to the inov8s? Ive seen conflicting reports of the VJs being narrow in the midsole but also wide in the toe box.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    How did you find the sizing compared to the inov8s? Ive seen conflicting reports of the VJs being narrow in the midsole but also wide in the toe box.
    I haven't had Inov8 for a few years but when i used to get them i wore 10.5 (EU 45) which is the same as i get in the VJSports. they fit really well.

After falling out of love somewhat with my Scott Supertrac shoes (they are fantastic when conditions are drier and not quite so harsh, and supremely comfortable, but just not quite up to it when it gets really nasty)……. I've gone back to VJ, and bought the Irock 3. Put them on last night and looking at them again I can't really understand why I went away from them (the grass is always greener...!)

It was a bit of a panic buy... after a coupe of hairy runs over the past couple of weeks in my Scotts, and the impending doom of Ras Yr Aran this weekend in poor conditions, I decided urgent action was needed!

I wrenched my ankle quite severely (it's still clicking now!)in Irock3s just after Christmas.
    I've had little going overs in Xtalons previously but nothing as bad as this.
    I wonder if the rigidity of the Irock upper may have led to less give, and therefore the injury.
    Maybe I'm in my head though - the grip is excellent and the uppers bombprof!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I wrenched my ankle quite severely (it's still clicking now!)in Irock3s just after Christmas.
    I've had little going overs in Xtalons previously but nothing as bad as this.
    I wonder if the rigidity of the Irock upper may have led to less give, and therefore the injury.
    Maybe I'm in my head though - the grip is excellent and the uppers bombprof!
    Ive done the same in mudclaws, was out for 3 months, just depends how you fall (the ankle slip actually flipped my off my feet it was that bad).

Hope your well soon and might see you in Jura.

Dan

Was very glad of my new Irocks at Aran yesterday!

XTRMs arrived today curtesy of Pete Bland Sports. Excellent service as usual and let's not forget those that support our sport in these difficult times.
    First impressions good, a snugger fit than mudclaws - similar to speedcross. It will be a while before these get a run out on the fells but I might try them out in my local woods at the weekend.

After deciding my Irock 3's are half a size too small (I'll probably still keep them for cross country though)...

I have again gone back to VJ Xtrm.

I think PeteS above mentioned a lack of stockists for VJ, particularly in our area of the country... I can advise that Derby Runner stock all VJ fell shoes, as well as Inov8, Salomon, Walsh... Definitely worth a visit.