Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
Carrying on the slightly self-reverential theme: the race I regard as being the absolute pinnacle of my fell-running career is the 1989 Moel Siabod race. The reason I regard my performance there as being so exceptional: my time was only 8% longer than Colin Donnelly's winning time. It wasn't a Championship race, so he may not have been putting in maximum effort, but it was in the third of his British Championship winning years. I don't think I would be anywhere near 8% behind him if we met in a race these days.
Interesting, but Anthony - the report in The Fellrunner p27 September 1989 says he"... went off at the start with the speed one expects from road runners at the start of the Snowden Race! Unlike road runners, however, Colin kept the pace up all the way up and down the mountain!"

I suggest Anthony you are being modest in memory of your own performance or, if CD truly "...may not have been putting in maximum effort..." perhaps we should blame the correspondent (from Thames H & H ) for some journalistic license? .