Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Modern era greats

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Carrying on the slightly self-reverential theme: the race I regard as being the absolute pinnacle of my fell-running career is the 1989 Moel Siabod race. The reason I regard my performance there as being so exceptional: my time was only 8% longer than Colin Donnelly's winning time. It wasn't a Championship race, so he may not have been putting in maximum effort, but it was in the third of his British Championship winning years. I don't think I would be anywhere near 8% behind him if we met in a race these days.
    Interesting, but Anthony - the report in The Fellrunner p27 September 1989 says he"... went off at the start with the speed one expects from road runners at the start of the Snowden Race! Unlike road runners, however, Colin kept the pace up all the way up and down the mountain!"

I suggest Anthony you are being modest in memory of your own performance or, if CD truly "...may not have been putting in maximum effort..." perhaps we should blame the correspondent (from Thames H & H ) for some journalistic license? .
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Interesting, but Anthony - the report in The Fellrunner p27 September 1989 says he"... went off at the start with the speed one expects from road runners at the start of the Snowden Race! Unlike road runners, however, Colin kept the pace up all the way up and down the mountain!"

I suggest Anthony you are being modest in memory of your own performance or, if CD truly "...may not have been putting in maximum effort..." perhaps we should blame the correspondent (from Thames H & H ) for some journalistic license? .
    I'm beginning to understand what it feels like for politicians when someone like John Humphrys or Jeremy Paxman quotes back at them something they said years ago.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    I finished only 90 seconds or so behind Ian Holmes a few years ago*

*okay, so the race was only one mile but I’ll not forget it in a hurry

I once passed Ian Holmes.....
    At the time he was travelling in the other direction on his way to the finish and another win.
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

i was once not too far behind Ian Holmes at Burnsall fell race. he had won the 10 mile road race earlier that afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post

Ok, I was still ahead of Ricky Lightfoot on the climb up Blisco in the 2009 Three Shires race. Maybe Ricky hadn't taken the best line off Swirl How, but they all count!!

I was ahead of Carl Bell on this years Buttermere Horseshoe.... on the walk from the car park to the village hall.

But seriously, for the 90% of us on this forum who will likely never win a race, comparison to others is how we measure our progress...

When i first started, main priority was finishing. Then i started to look and compare to those around me, and try to keep up with better runners, including some people on this forum (had some great races against DaveMole, Mr RTS and FellUpFellDown to name a few).

Always looking ambitiously at runners ahead and wondering what i have to do to reach their standards... Was really chuffed to convincingly beat a prominent Dark Peak runner at Weasdale Horseshoe the other week (admittedly he'd not even ran since Wasdale in July). And i have no doubt he'll redress the balance in some style at Peris next month.

One day i vow to get the better of Mel Price. Managed to get within 3 minutes at Brecon Beacons, but she's just too strong at the moment.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I once beat Jeff Norman, Mike Short and Colin Donnelly in the same race, and would probably have beaten Billy Bland if he hadn't retired.

It was the 1981 Kentmere race. John Wild went off in the lead at the start, but he was still quite new to fell-running, so didn't understand what clag was for: getting lost in. The race was run anticlockwise in those days, and while Wild took the correct line into Nan Bield Pass from Kentmere Pike, the following group went off on an exploration of Harter Fell and the Mardale Waters. I remember being passed by one or two people going very fast in the later stages of the race, but there are still a lot of well-known names behind me in the results list.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post

Ha, beat me to it! I was only 5 minutes behind Simon Bailey on the Lantern pike dash.

my first 'big' scalp was outsprinting Jebby for 92nd place at Lad's Leap champs race in 2012. OK he only had about 1/8th of a lung working (and I'd had a naff run) but it counted.
    Most scalps since have been weather related.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy