Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Modern era greats

I find the Trigger Marsden-Edale good for finishing ahead of some notable runners(although ba-ba you're well aware of this already!)

I may be a little biased here but I think Vic should be on anyone's list.
    By my count this morning she currently holds 38 race records and most of them are big races!
    Three peaks
    Langdale
    Ben Nevis
    Coniston
    Black combe
    Fairfield
    Grasmere
    Burnsall
    Tour of Pendle
    Edale
    Kentmere
    I could go on but I am a bit Biased
    Ben Nevis
    Darren Kay.
    Calder Valley

Vic's done OK I suppose, but she'll never be recognised as one of the greats until she comes and has a go at the course record at Shutlingsloe (the Matterhorn of Cheshire).

Did I mention there's a prize for beating the course record - in the men's and women's categories.

But seriously, I couldn't agree more. Vic is the standout performer in the last 20 years across both sexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dew Claw Lassalle View Post
    I may be a little biased here but I think Vic should be on anyone's list.
    By my count this morning she currently holds 38 race records and most of them are big races!

I could go on but I am a bit Biased
    Ben Nevis
    Yes. Interestingly someone has just suggested I write a profound and definitive analysis of female records over the decades for The Fellrunner. People are so kind in suggesting work for me.

In their day such as Carol Greenwood, Sarah Rowell, Angela Mudge,... swept all before them, although some were better at one kind of race than another, but - and not just because Victoria once gave me kind assistance when I was navigationally challenged - I agree she may well be establishing herself as the greatest all round female fell runner.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Wolverhampton - nearest 'hill' the Wrekin!
    Can I just ask, is the distance on the finish field at Ben Nevis measured to the metre so it’s the same every year, as it would be if it finished on a track? Because unless it is, then why is Kenny’s time considered the record when John Wild has ran only one second slower? Surely they both should be accredited as joint record holders, given no one can be sure exactly which blades of grass they hammered the posts in round the field and to form the finish line on any given year.
    Last edited by TimW; 05-09-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Can I just ask, is the distance on the finish field at Ben Nevis measured to the metre so it’s the same every year, as it would be if it finished on a track? Because unless it is, then why is Kenny’s time considered the record when John Wild has ran only one second slower? Surely they both should be accredited as joint record holders, given no one can be sure exactly which blades of grass they hammered the posts in round the field and to form the finish line on any given year.
    I’m going to go with the obvious answer. Because those are the results, and one is faster than the other. Doesn’t matter how much
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    You could say that about most races are they started and finished in exact same place every year . I know both Kenny and john and I'm pretty sure John wouldn't like to be given the record over a blade of grass